Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

love the diesel sound..!

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by 82K5_6.5L, Feb 24, 2003.

1. 82K5_6.5L

82K5_6.5L 1/2 ton status

anybody know how i could make my diesel sound louder and bigger without breaking something or doing anything illegal? (spelling?)
    thanx!

2. bigblock454

bigblock454 Clack Clack Clack Premium Member

You can make the diesel sound louder by advancing the injector pump timing. Be carefull though, I would advance at most 1/8 of an inch.

3. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

that or a straight pipe. Open element air filter will make it louder too...

4. cegusman

cegusman 3/4 ton status

Chop the mufflers off, I just did that to mine. Not bad at idle, but if you really get on it, it lets everyone know you are there. I think it sounds good.

5. 4x4_76

4x4_76 1/2 ton status

I have one 3" flow through muffler,and it sounds really sweet /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. Crunk_K5_1984

Crunk_K5_1984 Registered Member

[ QUOTE ]
    Chop the mufflers off, I just did that to mine. Not bad at idle, but if you really get on it, it lets everyone know you are there. I think it sounds good.

[/ QUOTE ]
    You might want to be careful, no mufflers on a diesel is a cop magnet. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif You might just want to get a dynaflo 3" or 4" muffler, still street legal, but you also get big performance sound

7. arveetek

arveetek 1/2 ton status

I know what you mean....I love the diesel rattle! Advancing the timing as was mentioned will gain you a little bit of rattle. Just rotate the injection pump toward's the driver's side about an 1/8th of an inch.

Chopping the mufflers off an n/a diesel won't increase the diesel sound. It will be louder, that's for sure, but it will actually mask the diesel rattle. A 6.2L/6.5L with no mufflers sounds like a gasser.

Chopping the muffler off a turbo 6.2L/6.5L will increase turbo whine. It's a totally different sound than an n/a engine.

If it's diesel rattle you're after, then there's not much you can do about it. The 6.2L/6.5L is designed in a way that they are more quiet than other diesels.

Casey

8. cegusman

cegusman 3/4 ton status

I know several people around my part of town with no mufflers and have never been bother by the "ALL MIGHTY PIG"

9. cegusman

cegusman 3/4 ton status

Where would I find the dynaflow mufflers other than Banks?

10. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I gotta ask, is there any detriment to advancing the pump timing a little? What causes the 'diesel rattle'??

Rene

11. arveetek

arveetek 1/2 ton status

If you advance the timing too far, the engine won't run correctly. However, it won't harm the diesel like it will the gasser. It is a recommended by most diesel shops and TDP to advance the timing on the 6.2L. I think the factory sets it back a little to quiet it down a bit. Advancing the timing will make the engine a lot more peppy.

Here is an excerpt from a question asked on TDP just like yours:

"I have a question about diesel engine pre-detonation. I Have always know that ignition pre-detonation in a gasoline engine was always considered bad; potential piston, valve, and spark plug damage. What about for a Diesel engine? You alway hear diesel engines, and they all seem to display the typical pre-detonation rattle. Should the fuel injection pump be set at the point where this detonation just begins or this advancing the fuel timing too much?
    I have a 82 GMC, K2500 pickup, with a remanufactured 6.2L, J model in it. I got it with a rebuilt Stanadyne, DB2 mechanical pump. I noticed that when I align the pump timing marks with the factory marks, no engine rattle is noticeable. But, if I advance the pump approximately 1/8" toward drivers side, the rattle is very distinct, but engine definitely has improved performance. Sorry for being so long-winded!
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Posts: 4 | From: Jacksonville, Fl | Registered: Dec 2002 | IP: Logged

CleviteKid
    posted 01-23-2003 10:19 PM
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    There is no such thing as pre-detonation in a diesel. What you are hearing are structural vibrations induced by extremely rapid pressure rise rates. Your engine can take it, if you like the improved performance.

Dr. Lee "

Advancing the timing makes a big difference in "seat of the pants" feel! I've actually got mine advanced about 1/4" on my '81, but I wouldn't go that far on the first try. You can keep moving it until you feel the performance and noise is suffering, then back off. It's hard to explain, but you can tell when the timing has been advanced too much.

Casey

12. arveetek

arveetek 1/2 ton status

The guy I sold my 6.2L powered K-10 to chopped the mufflers off......he's already gotten stopped by the cops twice due to the noise.

It probably depends on where you live and how the cops react to loud trucks. However, there is no disputing the fact that straight-piped n/a 6.2L powered trucks are LOUD!! /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Casey

13. OFFRDK5

OFFRDK5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

"If its too loud, you are too old!!!"

Mine is going to the chopping block soon. Just can't wait to hear the neighbors complain some more. Heck with 2 mufflers they complain about me firing it up at 2 in the morning!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

14. 82K5_6.5L

82K5_6.5L 1/2 ton status

sounds good, how do i do that? advance the timing? im new to the whole diesel thing..plus im kinda young too...haha thanx

15. Crunk_K5_1984

Crunk_K5_1984 Registered Member

[ QUOTE ]
    Where would I find the dynaflow mufflers other than Banks?

[/ QUOTE ]
    You might get lucky with a search on Ebay.

16. AzzKicker

AzzKicker 1/2 ton status

How do you check if Timing is in Stock location. I'm the second owner of my 6.2 K20 and I'm not sure if its been tweaked or not. I'd like to advance it a bit but I'm not sure if its already been advanced.

17. arveetek

arveetek 1/2 ton status

82 and Kicker:

Remove the air cleaner. Look down at the top front of the injection pump where it is bolted to the front engine cover. You will see three nuts holding the pump on....one on the top and two on each side. Look at where the the top of the pump meets the cover it is bolted to...there should be a scribe mark going across the the face of the pump flange and the front cover. If the scribe marks are lined up, then the timing is probably set at stock specs. If the pump line is to the passenger's side of the cover line, then the timing is retarded. If the pump line is to the driver's side of the cover line, then the timing is advanced.

If the scribe marks are lined up, or the pump is set toward the passenger's side, then you can advance the timing a bit. Loosen up the three mounting nuts. It takes a 15mm wrench. The bottom nuts are a bugger to get to, especially the driver's side where the throttle bracket is bolted to. Sometimes it takes more than one wrench of different brands, so you can use the box end, to slowly turn the bottom nuts.

Use a pry bar and gently pry the pump over towards the driver's side about 1/8th of an inch. Hold the pump over with the bar and tighten the top nut. Then go ahead and tighten the bottom two nuts.

Make sure you do this with the engine off. Never attempt to rotate the pump with the engine running. It could damage the pump or the gears.

Replace the air cleaner and start the engine. See how it sounds. If it seems the diesel rattle is excessive, then back the timing off just a bit. If you can't really tell a change, then you can probably advance the timing some more.

The injection pump acts just like a distributor on a gasoline engine. In fact, the style of pump on our engines is called a distributor type pump. The pump takes care of fuel delivery and timing. So rotating the pump does the same thing, essentially, as does rotating a distributor on a gasser.

Casey