Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

low and no oil pressure?? help

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by sublime_whatigo, Feb 7, 2003.

1. sublime_whatigo

sublime_whatigo Registered Member

Ok just put a new passenger side head in with all the gaskets..... before all this happened my oil pressure was always hanging around 60. and when it needed the head it was hanging around 40 and 60 during acceleration. now its great when the engines cold but after it gets warm and the longer it is running the worse it gets. it hangs around 35-40 in overdrive, during hard acceleration it hits just below 60 and at idle it drops to 0. Whats the deal?? thanks.

2. pilgrim

pilgrim 1/2 ton status

those #'s sound good except for the zero /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif thats bad.. what kind of guage are you useing stock/aftermarket - electric/mecanical.. i removed my pass side head to fix a bent valve and there was no change in pressure. i'd say its not your head but probably the guage reading wrong, make sure that works first. good luck and welcome to CK5 /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif,

ps- if you get a chance fill out your profile. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

3. 4DiggerDan

4DiggerDan 1/2 ton status

Agreed.. There's really nothing in a head that would cause your oil pressure to drop.

First thing I'd do is put a mechanical gauge (the ones that screw right into the block) and make sure its not just hte gauge.

If the mechanical gauge confirms your results, at least at idle (can't imagine a guy hanging off a front axle draging along under his truck at 4000 RPMs in OD looking at a gauge /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif ) then I have to ask... Why'd you have the head off? Was it getting water in the oil?

4. BlazinRojo

BlazinRojo 1/2 ton status

Removing the head shouldn't have caused a problem, because there are no oil passages in the head under pressure. All the oil going up to the valve train comes through the push rods (unless I'm gravely mistaken) so pulling the head shouldn't effect it. Maybe do a re-torque on the heads and see if that helps, otherwise try a new gauge/sender.

5. ZonkRat

ZonkRat 1/2 ton status

Water in the oil could cause bearing wear when the head went bad.did it blow gasket,crack or what?How long did you run it with bad head?The strainer on oil pump could be trying to stop up,causing low flow into it at low RPMs.Oil sending unit could be going bad.Hope it's not bearings.LOL /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. sublime_whatigo

well i first noticed it burning antifreeze out the exhaust, i drove for 100miles or so like this (woops). I took it to a mechanic that has a garage at his house and does it for a living and he repalced the intake gasket. It helped tons, but after a week it was getting worse again and my temp was bouncing all over the place. Took it in and he said the passenger side head was cracked, so he put in a new one and all new gaskets. I immediately noticed it was a little slower and doggier punching it from a stop. But the next time i drove it it was fine, later that nite i had the oil pressure problem. I drove it last nite and it would only hit 28-30 at idle, but i didnt drive it for like 35min like the time before.

I talked to a couple kids going to school to be mechanics last nite (both kinda drunk) one said its prolly the gauge, the other said its either the gauge or the oil pressure switch and mite even be an oil pump going bad.

Thanks a lot guys. You rock!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

edit. oh ya i asked the mechanic and he said the head cracked in the right spot where no antifreeze got in the oil and he changed the oil and filter just to be safe.

7. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

Sounds like my truck... Startup its at 45-60 for about 5 miles. Then stop at a redlight and it falls to 15. Then get going and it goes to like 35-40 stop again and it starts jumpin between 0-10, then when you get going its 30. Just odd, but i just need to get this one to last till the summer, for a hopeful 383..........*prays to the truck gods it will last*

8. sublime_whatigo

thought id tell you the newest crap. go out last nite, oil pressure only droped just a tad under 30. i shut the truck off then my friend tells me to move it so i emmediately go to start it and it turns and turns and sounds like its gonna die and finally starts. starts fine later that nite, on my way home the engine light comes on, get to my house shut it off and try to start it again and it does the same crap, sounds like theres no oil in the engine and just barely starts.

9. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

You got headers or something? Might be a heat-sink deal. My truck kinda struggles to start when its hot.