Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Low-Buck Mailbox

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by mr_blasto, Apr 8, 2005.

1. mr_blasto

mr_blasto 1/2 ton status

Anybody have any great ideas how to build a really strong mailbox for cheap? My mother-in-law needs a mailbox cause the high school kids keep breaking her's (baseball bats, trashcan, whatever). Budget is a huge concern, but I also want it to be able to take a beating. Any ideas?

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

go to the hardware store. Get 2. One BIG one and one little one. ANd a bag of quikrete. You see where I am going? :D A hefty pole holding this up really helps.

Turn an old transmission case into a mailbox? Seen that done before. Turn an engine block into one? Way better for strength but much more work.

3. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

make one out of 1/4in steel weld it into a box and put hinges on it for a front door and post it on a big steel pipe and let them try it again :D :D :D :D

4. kyser_soze

kyser_soze 1/2 ton status

Do you have a welder? 5 ft. of 4x4 square tubing and weld a box together, set it 1-2 bags of cement.

5. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I am a fan of the stealth mean ones. Aka, plating the inside, or my concreting one inside another. Nothing will teach that kid to think twice like the ring of his bat through his arm.

6. PhoenixZorn

PhoenixZorn 1/2 ton status

I would love to see a cheapo mailbox filled with 30 lbs of quickrete... that would be awesome to watch the kids hit it and realize how dumb it was to keep messing with me...

7. grimjaw

grimjaw 1/2 ton status

Growing up, a friend of mine had trouble with their mailbox being smashed by kids. His dad built a mailbox from 1/2" plate steel and mounted it on a 10'+ foot long 12x12 beam. A few weeks later there was a pile of broken glass, rocks and a smashed cinder block. They never had any more problems till a drunk driver hit it and snapped the post off. Man it did a number on the car.

8. nc87k5

nc87k5 3/4 ton status

[​IMG]

maybe not cheap, but effective with all the brick around it :D .

9. gmcjimmy88

gmcjimmy88 1/2 ton status

I recall seeing a "friend" do this when I was in high school. I can honestly say that this "friend" never batted another box after he had hit one made out of 1/4 plate. It is simple and efective, Or take tha larger box and place a smaller/normal one inside. Then line it with concrete. That would work.

10. flatline

flatline 1/2 ton status

before you do this, I would check your local laws on proper mailbox installs.

I know in Ohio, it is illegal for your mailbox to be made of 1/4 plate steel imbedded in concrete... if someone was to hit it with a car and it doesn't give and ends up killing them or whatever... it's the property owners fault.

I see alot of fence posts being used around the mailbox itself to protect the mailbox and seems to work great. I don't think they have laws against protecting around the box, just the box itself.

11. jekquistk5

jekquistk5 Weld nekid Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Alot of kids arround my hometown got down with sledges, rather then bats and bricks or cinder blocks. From expierience those big plastic jobies hold up pretty well, and take quite a bit to take down. If you put a metal pole holding it up rather then a 4x4 then you should be all set. Bats just bounce off the plastic. Most mailboxes are held in place with a few screws so if you fill it up with concreete its still going to come off just as easy. Unless you weld that sucker to pole. Another way we got the little ****s to quit taking our box out is to put 2 4x4s in the ground were its useually hanging. So the box is now held in place by 3 points rather then one. Its kinda close to the road, but we do not get much traffic down our road anyways!

12. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

Hehe.

You can always plant one of these next to your box.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2006
  13. justhorsinaround

justhorsinaround 3/4 ton status

Put several handfulls of nails and screws and whatever else you can find that will flatten a tire and sprinkle them on the ground around the mail box. Y'all might wanna tell the mail man they're there or sweep them up in the mornin.

14. kyser_soze

kyser_soze 1/2 ton status

Ah the smell of a Sea Breeze.

15. mr_blasto

mr_blasto 1/2 ton status

Thanks for some ideas. I really like the two mailbox with cement idea. I am not sure if the mother-in-law will go for it, but we'll see. I woud just build one out of 1/4" plate, but that stuff gets really expensive really quickly. Yes I do have a welder, the probelm is the idiot behind the welder. I will take the project on in a week and a half, and I will definitely post up some pictures with the final solution. If anybody has anymore bright ideas... keep them coming.

16. 3 on the tree

3 on the tree 1/2 ton status

How bout finding ann old wood burning stove, weld it to a pole and use it fora mailbox???

17. mr_blasto

mr_blasto 1/2 ton status

Tis mailbox is to go infront of a home in what seems to be a fairly recent planned community. The houses are large (cause land is cheap in UT) and they are fairly new. The neighborhood is a nice neighborhood, and the mother-in-law is very much into the whole "image" thing. Perhaps an old wood burning stove, though extremely stout, is not well suited for the area or the lady. I definitely appreciate the creativity though. Any other ideas?

18. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Old engine block. Timing chain cover for mail door. Need too cut it out so mail box fits in it. Brick and concreit too get it up high enough.

19. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

mine is indestructo!

Our mailbox is mounted on a peice of schedule 40 , 3 inch gas main pipe,and the box I built to replace the ones bashed by drunken kids joyriding with baseball bats is nothing more than an 18 inch section of 6 inch square tubing with 5/16 inch wall thickness,with a homemade door,and a back welded on it,and I salvaged the "flag" off the old mailbox!-- :grin:

Its gotten a bit rusty after 15 years,could use some aluminum paint,but after I found a broken Louisville Slugger bat across the street from it(that explains the loud primal scream I heard the night before I guess!)I had no more mailbox blues--only thing that hurt it was some bonehead road crew guys with a trackhoe turned the bucket sideways and hit it,and bent the post slightly--they were nice enough to bend it back--one guy said it should not be filled with cement,and related how its now illegal to put an "immovable object" in the path of vehicles..but the pipe is probably rusted out under the surface,and I think a car would snap it off fairly easy now--

One neighbor made a rebar "cage" around his mailbox,and it has worked well for him--another gave up and just nailed a 5 gallon pail with a half lid to a 4x4 post!--others have used cinder blocks,and other ways around the problem(mailbox polo is a big sport here for some reason :screwy: :surepal: --but the post office balks at our methods,saying they wont deliver mail to an "unapproved design" of mailbox--they havent said anything about mine,and if they do,I'll tell them THEY should GIVE FREE maiboxes to us then!!(or maybe I'll just get a P.O. box--but the ride to the post office every day is a PITA!!)..

20. ronnny

ronnny 1/2 ton status

Find used metal make it look how ever she wants.