Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Low buck truck building

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Geargrinder, Sep 7, 2005.

1. Geargrinder

Geargrinder 1/2 ton status

OK, I know I'm not the only one here building on a tiny bugdet (so far I have $1120 into my curent project, and that includes the purchess price) And building this way has taught me a few tricks along the way. So I was just thinking we could start a thred where we all shear our best low $$$ tricks/tips.
    I am making a oaisis "trail head" style air comp. for about $100 :eek1:
    1) get a goodsized A/C comp @ the 'yard (York or tecumse are best)
    2) get a starter motor from an old N ser. ford tractor (also Ford cars and trucks from 50's)
    3) decide on youre drive, I'm going side by side with them so I'm useing a #40 chain drive for mine, but U could go face to face and use a "Love Joy" style drive.
    4) make a bracket that they bolt to and get a 100-200A continuis duty sol. and bresure switch :waytogo:
    As soon as my motor gets here I will get it mounted and post pics if U like.

2. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Why not just mount the York, get a $40 pulley and have OBA?

3. down4thakrown

down4thakrown 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

im useing the oem ac compressor for my OBA

4. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

I'm "borrowing" my dad's truck and using it as a tow rig. :D

Otherwise I'm using CUCV brackets for recovery points and I cut down the factory bumper, looks pretty good and doesn't get in the way. Fender trimming is one of the cheapest functional mods out there. So is narrowing, so we're gonna see how that goes this winter. :wink1:

5. Geargrinder

Every one has there oun needs for OBA, mine are:
    1) Needs to be transportable to all 4 of my trucks (2 have AC that works, and no room left to belt drive another comp.)
    2) Needs to work with the engine on or off (ever try to blow out a cloged jet with the motor running :haha: )
    3) Needs to be endless sup. of air, so that rules out a CO2 tank. :doah:
    This comprssor will put out about 8.3cfm @ 90psi :bow:

6. Geargrinder

Where can U buy those brackets @? I have been interested in doing the same thing.

7. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

There are usually some on ebay. Otherwise shoot an e-mail to Brian at muddobber40@yahoo.com. He parts out CUCV's and is almost guaranteed to have some lying around.

8. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Starter motor== intermittent duty!

I've used several of those old ford starters that had the bendix drive "backwards" and a huge spring on them to start small engines on tractors..I'd take off the starter drive and spring,and the shaft is almost 5/8 O.D.,so its a simple deal to put a pulley on it to use it to start any small engine with a V-belt..I also ground the end of the shaft square,so 1/2" drive sockets fit it--then I could start engines by using it on the flywheel nut..almost like the hand held starters they use on drag cars with a blower!..

I used a few to run hydraulic pumps for power tailgates and plows,but they dont like being run continuously for very long..I dont think they will live long running a compressor...only way to tell for sure is to try it I guess..

I've used 12V motors I found on oil delivery trucks at the junkyard that are used to drive the hose reel on winches--they are not as powerful as a starter motor,but with gear reduction or chain and sprockets to multiply the torque,they work pretty good,and are reversible... :crazy: