Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Low Carb

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by gotmud?, Dec 19, 2003.

1. gotmud?

gotmud? 1/2 ton status

Thinking about jumping on the low carb bandwagon, Anybody else doing it? Having any luck? Got any tip's?

2. 83ZZ502_Jimmy

83ZZ502_Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Tried it, its a real PITA IMO. I really missed a couple of things.

I did it for a while like a month and a half. I lost some weight. Like 15 pounds, but I couldn't hold out anymore. The best advice I can give you is to read the book by Atkins. And really read it all.

It takes some will-power but it is do-able.

I am now currently trying something on my own, just eating sensibly. Not over-eating, just enough to be a little less than full. I feel full after about 10-15 minutes and go along fine.

John

3. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Been there, done that. Lost 30 pounds. Decided to go back to a greater variety of food, gained 30 pounds back..............

4. Waxer

Waxer 1/2 ton status Author

I'm doing it now. I'm on my 3rd day and well in the "induction period"

It really sucks at first cause you realize you can't eat 95% of the food thats out there. We had just went shopping like 2 days before we decided (the wife and I) to go on it, and now we have all this food that we can't eat.

I can tell you that you will feel light headed in the first week. I certainly have. You have to eat less than 20 grams of Carbs the first couple of weeks. Which is known as the induction period.

You can buy the book if you want, but all the information is online at atkins.com You can create an account there, keep a daily journal, and it tracks your weight and even gives you a nice graph to see the progress.

I certainly hope this works for me. After 3 days into it, it's not as bad as it was when I first started.

I eat 5 scrambled eggs and 4 pieces of bacon for breakfast, a boneless chicken breast and some veggies for lunch, and a hamburger and some salad for dinner.

You just gotta watch your carb count.

5. 88Silverado

88Silverado 1/2 ton status

I totally disagree with low-carb diets cuz they become so restrictive you end up on a low-calorie diet too then you. Your metabolism eventually gets so screwed up if you stop the diet or stray you gain back lots of weight cuz it doesnt know how to metabolize food.

I went on a High Protein High Fiber diet where I eat 6 times a day and joined a gym. I can have all the fruit-type carbs but reduce the starchy carbs. I can still have starchy carbs and if I have them around noon...I burn it off. Basically give up the bad carbs like snack foods, desserts, condiments, sodas.

If you want to look at an interesting diet that worked well for me and still eat lots of "good" food AND you dont count calories. My calorie intake went up and I lost weight!

Find a book called: Body Rx by Dr. Connelly
    Hes the guy who also invented Met-Rx Nutritional Supplements. I have no interest in this company.
    I found the book, read it, he has great credentials so thought I would try it. Works for me /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. CaveBlazin

CaveBlazin 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Well congradulations if your gonna try the Atkins program. Ive been on it for 3 months now and I stayed on induction for the whole time. I read the book and I like induction better than the next two phases. I get full VERY quickly, thats if you stick by the diet. I noticed that alot of people are saying they gained it back when they stopped this is very true. This diet is meant to be a LIFETIME change, however your carb intake can increase greatly when you get to the next phases. I just recently tried the Atkins bread hmmmmm it was great, I wanna try the pancakes and syrup next. It does take will power so just keep with it for the induction and you should be ok. ALOT of companys (fast food and resturant) are giving lowcarb meals now so America's coming around on this diet I know Hardee's is putting out a burger thats wrapped in lettuce and all the other fixing sounds good. Well anyways good luck and let us know how it turns out!!

7. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

Funny that you asked. I'm one month into a pretty intensive low(er)carb/high protein program that includes relatively intense workouts. I've lost a lot of fat without losing any weight(thanks, Bryan /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif). People that haven't seen me in a little while are asking "Have you been working out?".

Make sure that you eat at least 5 smaller meals a day and hit the gym hard. In a month you'll be amazed at the results.

8. clubba68

clubba68 1/2 ton status

Be careful with low carb/high protein diets. They can lead to gout, heart, and other problems.
    I thought about doing that, but my mom (Head of the Emergency room at a hospital for 25yrs) talked me out of it. If you want, I can have her give you 101 reasons not to do it.
    On another hand, I have been doing Weight Watchers for the past 10 weeks, and so far I have lost 49lbs. It really promotes eating healthy and balanced as opposed to unhealthy and unbalanced. With Weight Watchers you have an alotted number of points to use during the day and you can eat whatever you want. Points are based on 1)Dietary fiber 2)Calories 3)Fat. You are supposed to Eat 5 servings of vegetables per day, drink at least 6 cups of water, and have 2 servings of milk. It is really easy to follow, you can eat whenever you want. If you workout, you can calculate it and add more points onto your daily amount, and you are given flex points every week that you can use so that if you go over your point limit on a day or two during the week, it is alright.
    I really like it, and I am eating soooo much healthier now (more salads and fruits and veges and water) and I can definitely notice a difference. They say it's not a diet, it's just a change in your habits.
    WW
    There are also weekly meeting that you attend (I suppose you could just go once and get the program) that keep you really accountable by weighing you in each week at the same time. It is an excellent program, and I am a firm believer in it because it has worked so well for me. My mom lost 15lbs (down to 125 so she didn't have that much to lose), my sister has lost 60+, my friends mom and sister have both lost around 50, I have lost 49, and my gf has lost 5 (she was fine before, she is just doing it for moral support for me).
    If you are worried about it being a chick thing, there are guys at every meeting I have been to. There are about 5 guys in my meeting and 2 of them have lost 100+ and one of them has lost 90+. It really is amazing, and I urge all of you to check it out. I was nervous and skeptical about it, but the last 2.5 months have really changed my outlook on the program, and on life.
    Just my 2 cents. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    -Andrew /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

9. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

Go to a bookstore and buy a book on the "South Beach Diet." (Actually, you could probably find out about it online)

My mom and sister are currently doing that with great results. It's similar to the Atkins in that you're supposed to watch carb intake (ie, none at all for the first week or two), but it uses a series of steps to gradually bring the "bad" foods back into your diet. My mom and sister have been on it for about a month now and are on phase two where you can start eating bread and stuff like that. They've each lost about 10 pounds.

It sounds like the South Beach diet is the way to go. You still get to eat many of the things you do today, but in a limited amount to optimize weight loss.
    My dad did the Atkins a while back (geez, sounds like my whole family is obese - they're not) and while he did lose a lot of weight on it, his cholesterol sky-rocketed and he gained all the weight back when he got off of it per his doctor.

Choose wisely as to what you do. Of course the best is the standard diet and excercise. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. clubba68

clubba68 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    ... his cholesterol sky-rocketed and he gained all the weight back when he got off of it per his doctor.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif
    -Andrew /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

11. CaveBlazin

CaveBlazin 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Ive been on it for 3 months and mine went down considerably?????? Just My opinion I read in the book were you need to get your blood checked every so often i have been...