Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Low idle.

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by shaneopie, Aug 16, 2001.

1. shaneopie

shaneopie 1/2 ton status

I have a 1994 gmc suburban 4x4 w/t tbi. 350 engine in it. I am having trouble with it idling low. With or with out the a/c on. Does anyone know what i can do to maybe bump up the idle or what would be causing it to do this?

2. azblazor

azblazor 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Have you checked for engine trouble codes?

<font color=blue>azblazor</font color=blue>
    <font color=orange> 79 K5 454-FI / 4L80E, NP205, D60, FF14, 4" lift, 9K Warn </font color=orange>

3. kpanza

kpanza 1/2 ton status

Check out Howell Fuel Injection (I can't remember their website - sorry!). I have had their Idle Controller on my 87 w/ TBI for years now. It simply hooks in between the TBI and the original Idle Air Controller plug-in and you can then control the idle manually with their control box. It has worked great for me, especially handy when winching or need extra RPM, I just adjust the idle up and then when done, put idle back down.

Mine always idled way too low for my taste, that is why I got the Howell unit. If you lengthen their wires, you can mount the controller in your cab for "at your fingertips idle control"!

4. azblazor

Also we should whisper because (wispering real quiet now) a Suburban question should really be posted on the Suburban forum. The Gim-Reaper ala Master Moderator ala Chief Master-At-Arms might desend on us swinging his mighty scythe. :-)

<font color=orange> 79 K5 454-FI / 4L80E, NP205, D60, FF14, 4" lift, 9K Warn </font color=orange>

5. shaneopie

shaneopie 1/2 ton status

Thank you for everyones help so far. And i think that having a 85`k-5 with 12`` of lift and painted with chevy orange motor paint( go chevy pride) should allow me to chat about my suburban in this area to. But sorry if i affended anyone with the suburban question in this area.

6. azblazor

No offense here. I have two 4x4 suburbans, a 77 and a 93.

You didn't say if you checked your trouble codes from the computer?

And my comment regarding the Suburban forum was more "tongue-in-cheek", than in any way serious. But if you read Grim-Reapers post about "off-topic" posts in this forum, hopefully you would understand the "good-natured" comment. And besides the Suburban forum needs a little action.

7. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.howell-efi.com>www.howell-efi.com</a>

It's always darkest just before it goes pitch-black...
    [​IMG] <font color=green>Semper Maintenance!<font color=black>