Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Low oil pressure

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Russell Keys, May 23, 2000.

1. Russell Keys

Russell Keys 1/2 ton status

Just curious if any one here uses and/or recommends an oil or oil additive that will help out with low oil pressure? I am getting little to no pressure at idle (600-800rpm), especially after it gets to op. temp. Don't know if it's the sh:tty guage from wal-mart or lots of miles, or both, but we planned a last minute run this weekend and I wanted any extra ins. I could get. BTW if an engine has no oil pressure how long will it last? Is there still flow internally? I drive the hell out of mine and still don't notice any unusual problems with it. Terribly sorry for the long questions, just trying to find some answers.Thanks, Russell

2. Casey 86K5

Casey 86K5 1/2 ton status

Is your gauge mechanical or electric? I replaced the factory electric gauge im my 86 a few months ago. It would sit at zero idling, and when I hit the gas, it would jump over to 60. The sending unit could also be the problem. I have a 79 camaro that has a mech. oil gauge and it will read 8 lbs idling whn hot. I dont know of any additives that will boost oil pressure, and I dont believe that an engine would run w/no oil pressure.

3. Russell Keys

Russell Keys 1/2 ton status

I have a mechanical guage but don't really feel that that's the problem, unless the tube is slightly pinched behind the dash somewhere. When I first start it up it goes up to 15-20psi but after a while it falls toward the zero area. I was told that as long as it idles at at least 10psi and rises at least 10psi per every thousond rpms it's OK. Right now I run Valvoline 60w and that seems to help some, but it's kinda hard to replace something that has worn off through miles of use. As for additives I was thinking of something like Prolong or any of those "as seen on t.v." products. As far as oil has anyone used that new valvoline max life oil? It's supposed to be formulated with higher mileage vehicles in mind, but then again what about Q.S. "4X4" oil. Everyone has an oil "specifically formulated" for "YOU". Sorry for the novel just not ready for the rebuild quite yet and can't seem to blow this one up!Thanks,Russell

4. slodawg

slodawg 1/2 ton status

mine was doing the same thing, at idle it was low then at higher rpm it would gain. A new sending unit and guage would be the first thing to try. This is commen for older chevy's. The as seen on t.v. stuff usaully isnt seen for to long. As far as no oil pressure, if you have an engine that runs without it let me know and dont tell anyone else we'll make a fortune.(lol)

5. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Main bearings are toast or the spring int he bypass had broken. I just pulled a motor for the same thing. 3 psi of pressure at idle. Ran fine never made a noise never got the lifters to rattle. Would turn about 15psi at 3k. Ran 20w50 in it and drove it like that for a year.
    You can get in the bottom of the engine and replace the mains with it in the truck. If it runs good it might be worth the price of the bearings and seals to do the job.

Diging it in the dirt with my K5's
    Grim-Reaper

6. Espen88k5

Espen88k5 1/2 ton status

I did see a demo in a carshow once where they had a motor on a stand running with no oil, the oilpan and valvecovers where off so you could see everything spinning. It ran throughout the show. My uncle is in the car-industri and he told they had putt the stuff in a car and drove 100 km with it and all they could notice was a litle ticking from the valves..and it ran normal temprature.
    This stuff was meant as a one-treatment between each oilchange thing and would prolong enginelife, keeping everything slick at startupp before oil gets around...

[​IMG]<font color=blue>Espen88k5</font color=blue>

7. Blazer1970

Blazer1970 1/2 ton status

As Grim says, you can run a long time with real low oil pressure. If it gets low enough, your lifters will start to clatter. It only takes 5 psi or so at idle to keep them pumped up. I would find someone with an accurate mechanical gauge and hook it up to see if your dash gauge is accurate before you start replacing stuff. I used to work with a guy who had a story about when they tried to kill a Ford 2.3 4 banger by running it without oil. I think they finally gave up and turned it off because it was taking so long.

Tim

1970 Blazer CST 4X4 350 SM465 NP205
    1987 Suburban 4X4 350
    1988 Chevy Pickup 4X4 350

8. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

I swear by Valvoline Fully synthetic oils. I changed to fully synthetic in my K5 and it helped alot. You can also pull the pan and install a higher volume pump. Be sure to replace the rear main seal if it is leaking. I would also buy a $5.95 Moroso Pan baffle to keep oil from climbing up the rear of the pan when you are on steep hillclimbs. Mine has over 180K miles on it and it still runs good. But, I do need a new motor before venturing out too far. I would have made Depdogs Tellico run this year if I had a fresh motor.

Another point, dont buy oil additives that contain Teflon. Teflon is a solid and is not good in an engine.
    <font color=red>Mudzer</font color=red>
    1978/91 K5 Blazer

9. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

As far as the Valvoline Max Life oil goes: I like it. I use it in the wife's 93 Plymouth Laser with 118,000 HARD miles and a leaky head gasket. The quart-a-week oil leak dropped to quart-every-3-weeks in <font color=red>1<font color=black> oil change. Valvetrain noise has quieted a little, too. Seems to be working as advertised, as often is NOT the case!

[​IMG] Semper Maintenance!