Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

LOW OIL PRESSURE

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by SHAWNSTER, Jan 29, 2004.

1. SHAWNSTER

SHAWNSTER 1/2 ton status

my tbi 350 sits at 30 psi almost all the time when warm-when cold it sits at 25psi-its got almost 200k miles on it though-whats the deal-i still have plenty of power in the motor-thanks for help in advance

2. rcpilot

rcpilot 1/2 ton status

Thats plenty of pressure... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif a stock/mild 350 only requires 10 psi at idle to suffeciantly lube the engine.... 25 at idle and 30 running is great... unless you have a high pressure pump

3. SHAWNSTER

SHAWNSTER 1/2 ton status

thanks for the info-the reason i asked-i read an article in a mag that was basically saying somthing is wrong if under 30 psi-

4. lukebaby1

lukebaby1 1/2 ton status

With that amount of miles, it probably would be a good idea to replace the oil pump with a high volume. Oil pressure is directly affected by what kind of tolerance, or clearance exists in your main bearings, and Cam shaft bearings. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

5. southernspeed

southernspeed 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

They (pros) recon that under SEVERE running conditions (racing) that you need 10psi per 1000rpm. So I recon your pretty safe. I have little more on my '91 with 155000 on the clock and it's as sweet as a nut! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    They (pros) recon that under SEVERE running conditions (racing) that you need 10psi per 1000rpm. So I recon your pretty safe. I have little more on my '91 with 155000 on the clock and it's as sweet as a nut! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
    I thought the 10psi per 1,000RPM was for any motor? Only for racing?

Get a melling high volume pump, I have 30psi at idle and it jumps to 60psi and pegs the guage above 2,500rpm's /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

7. southernspeed

southernspeed 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
    I thought the 10psi per 1,000RPM was for any motor? Only for racing?

Get a melling high volume pump, I have 30psi at idle and it jumps to 60psi and pegs the guage above 2,500rpm's /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
    They recon that's what you need if you're going to punish the motor. A by product of high pressure is heat as your pumping more than you need under normal conditions and the pumping causes pressure/friction and therefor heat! But with reg oil changes, the likes of you and I would never know the difference! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. FRIZZLEFRY

FRIZZLEFRY 1/2 ton status

Well I gots close to 200k on mine and when hot at idle I have almost 10psi and 40psi when on the throttle.Cold I have 60psi at idle/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I dont like that the oil press is that low at idle when warm but as long as the lifters n stuff aint makin noise,I aint worried /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

9. bigburban383

bigburban383 1/2 ton status

Your pressure is low because your bearing clearances are getting larger due to normal wear and you have 200k on it. If your worryed about it get a M55HV melling high volume oil pump ($25 w/ pickup Autozone) to make up for the increase in the bearing clearances. You probably need a new pump drive shaft because when you take your stock one out likely the plastic sleeve will blow up. You can find a steel sleeved shaft for about $12.

10. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

Geez, i have an 89 Burb with the TBI 350 and 210k miles and is always runnin at 45-65 psi. But then again i change my oil about every 2500 just to try to keep up on the higher mileage engine and hopefully keep it lasting longer.

11. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

lucky dawg, the last 3 months of my old engine life it had 45psi cold, 25psi goin down the highway warm, 0 at idle warm.......wasnt pretty sounds but i was already building its replacement......hell im still building. argh