Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Low pitch grinding sound!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by SkyScraper, Jun 30, 2002.

1. SkyScraper

SkyScraper Registered Member

OK I know this is going to be hard to explain, but hear it goes.

When I get out on the road and get up to around 55mph, I get this grinding sound. Plus you can feel it in the floor pans. My friend that sold me the truck says it may be the tires causing some vibration. Which could be causing the sound and that feeling from the floor. Well the feeling of this grinding from the floor is getting worse. I'm starting to get concerned enough that I don't drive it far from the house anymore. I have not ever taken mudding or have I been that hard on it. So what could the possibilities be that is causing this? Is the Transmission trying to tell me something or is it worse than that…like the transfer case or even all the drive shafts are starting to fail? /forums/images/icons/confused.gif

Still learning the lingo about these trucks, but I believe the Transfer case is the NP203. So I’m running 4X4 all the time. Which I like it, but when I first bought the truck I never noticed this problem. Just within me the last few weeks, when I go fishing. /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

Sorry for being so long. I hope you understand this dilemma. /forums/images/icons/frown.gif

Regards,

2. 95 Silverado

95 Silverado 1/2 ton status

not being able to hear the noise it's hard to diagnose it, but there are a lot of possibilities. could be a bad wheel bearing, or something else in the driveline. either take it to a knowledgeable mechanic and get it checked out or have someone ride with you who has some diagnostic experience and try to track down where it's coming from. I wouldn't wait too long as it will probably not go away, and is most likely doing more damage.

3. bklynlifted

bklynlifted 1/2 ton status

??? why are you running in 4x4 all the time ????? this is not a good idea . the noise you feel is most likely the same noise i have ??? ive narrowed it down to the wheel bearings in the rear or the carrier bearing so the fix will be easy im going to rebuild the front and rear diffs. problem should be fix /forums/images/icons/confused.gif with 180,000 on the O.D. it's time . good luck

4. trailblazer87

trailblazer87 1/2 ton status

Np203 is a full time case. He is always in 4x4, thats how this t-case works. Not sure what the problem is without hearing it for myself.
    Just make sure you are not in loc, but just 4-hi. Sounds like a driveline, did you recently put on a lift? Can you feel it in the steering wheel? Is it louder in back or front? Next, get out at shake the drivelines, if anything is loose there is your problem. If not you may not be getting out of loc.

5. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

Yeah the NP203 is like having all-wheel-drive.....

6. 76_Cheyenne

76_Cheyenne 1/2 ton status

Hey sounds like I had the same thing. I noticed it echoing off buildings and such. I have a np203 with part time hubs and I cuoldnt find the noise for the longest time. I replaced my wheel bearings and the noise got worse. It ended up being my hub. Internally it was switching between lock and unluck while I was driving. So I just replaced the hub. Give that a shot.

7. SkyScraper

SkyScraper Registered Member

Well here is an update of the problem. It has been getting worse...a lot worse if you ask me. The sound is more like a feeling in the floor boards, but grinding is the best way to describe the feeling. Anyway the feeling has now transfered itself into my steering. So that is telling me there is a problem somewhere in there. I have looked under the truck to find my CV joints are rusted and the lower ball joint nipple (where the grease is inserted) is clogged. I'm going to try and removed it and replace it to see that helps, but I think the problem is in the joints.

What do you guys think? /forums/images/icons/confused.gif

I don't have a lot of money to throw at these beast right now to find the problem. /forums/images/icons/frown.gif

I have checked for loose drive lines and everything is good an tight and it is in 4-hi all the time.

Thanks everyone for your time!

8. steve85fla

steve85fla Registered Member

I would check the wheel bearings