Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Low preload on old pinion

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by zhgrou6, Aug 13, 2005.

1. zhgrou6

zhgrou6 Registered Member

I am starting to replace the pinion seal on my 1985 K4 rear axle. I measured the preload rotational torque to be 1.2 in lb CW and 1.1 CCW. Seems too low. Spec I found in another thread is: Pinion bearing preload new 20-25 in. lbs. / used 5-15 in. lbs. I measured with rear wheels and drums off. Pinion shaft has no play sideways or in and out. I can feel some back lash when I turn the pinion yoke, normal. When I reassemble the pinion I'll try to return to same rotation torque adding 1 to 5 in lbs for drag caused by new seal (according to Haynes manual). Perhaps my preload is so low because my gear lube is low. That's why I'm replacing the seal. Any comments?

2. ryan22re

ryan22re 1/2 ton status

i usually set the preload with no fluid in it so...not sure that that has anything to do with it. sounds very low to be 1.1 in lbs...not sure why...maybe seal worn...bearings worn...any other ideas?

ryan

3. zhgrou6

zhgrou6 Registered Member

Seal was destroyed

Worn seal - yeah, when I removed the yoke I found the rubber part of the seal just hanging on the shaft. It was completly detatched from the seal shell. So if resistance from the seal is part of the preload torque spec - I had none. That could explain the low preload torque I measured.

4. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

gm tech told me to take chisle and hammer and marke end of pinon shaft and nut. remove nut do work and put back on and have nut mark just past pinon mark by a hair. works great for him over the years.

5. perp

perp 1/2 ton status

I can't help with the preload, but I am curious as to what a K4 is? :D