Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Low pressure and no start

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by imiceman44, Jan 19, 2004.

1. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

Hey guys
    I am looking at buying a burb with a 6.2 with banks turbo.
    The problem is it doesn't run now and he thinks it's the injection pump.
    When we crank it with the lines cracked you get a small drizzle but not a spray.
    Same with the injectors off the heads the spray is not strong.
    Do you think it's the lift pump, injection pump, both, something else?
    I would like to know today if I get answers so i can go make him an offer.
    Thanks guys.
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

It could just be bad injectors, and might be a bad pump. Lift pump...it's a $20 item so who cares? Seriously though, if there isn't any air in the system it'll run even with a bad lift pump.

Rebuilt pump and injectors run a little over $350 from Accurate diesel...factor that into your offer. (then sell me the banks set-up /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif)

Did you do a compression check?

Rene

3. BlueBlazer

BlueBlazer 1/2 ton status

Could be the fuel solenoid, air in fuel, low fuel pressure to the injector pump, crud in the injector lines (if its sat for a long time), clogged fuel filter, etc. Take off the line to the injector pump and make sure its getting plenty of fuel to it. Make sure the fuel solenoid is clicking.

4. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    It could just be bad injectors, and might be a bad pump. Lift pump...it's a $20 item so who cares? Seriously though, if there isn't any air in the system it'll run even with a bad lift pump.

Rebuilt pump and injectors run a little over $350 from Accurate diesel...factor that into your offer. (then sell me the banks set-up /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif)

Did you do a compression check?

Rene

[/ QUOTE ]

I was thinking the same thing, I have a good running pump that I can try first and then send this one out for a rebuild.
    I just talked to him and asked him what his bottom price would be and he said $1300 so I said yes.
    I am going this afternoon to give him a down payment and hopefully by the week end I will go pick it up.

And as for the turbo, ...... Yeah right /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif nope I don't think so.

And by the way, no air in the system, new injectors new glow plugs and working, tested good, new fuel filter.
    The only explanation so far is either lift pump, or injection pump but now I am thinking injection pump since the lift pump would bring it up to the injection Pump but the pump will boost the pressure to the injectors.
    Now another thing I think was a factor, the speed of the cranking, the starter just died last night while trying so i guess it was on it's way out and now it's dead so i will use my other starter for now and maybe if not good enough I will get the 28T reduction starter. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. tRustyK5

[ QUOTE ]
    And as for the turbo, ...... Yeah right

[/ QUOTE ]

C'mon...I give you 5 dolla /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

Rene

6. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

Hey when I am done fixing it, I will drive up there and make you beg. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. tRustyK5

C'mon up...I'll beg (and try bribing you with beer) /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

Rene

8. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    C'mon up...I'll beg (and try bribing you with beer) /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

Rene

[/ QUOTE ]

Well I definitely want to make a trip up there, maybe I can get some time this summer.
    And now that I have friends up there it will be more fun.

9. tRustyK5

Just send me a pm if you do come up.../forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Rene

10. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

Definitely
    I bought a Tcase from a friend here in San Fran and he told me about you, I think you were down here or he went up to your place, anyway /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    So I am looking forward to meeting you.

11. tRustyK5

We were in San Francisco/Oakland area for a week (2 1/2 years ago) Stayed with Mark (Gandolf here) but didn't really meet anyone else...unless you count when Dave (2Dogs) flagged us down just south of Mt Shasta on our way home. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Rene

12. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    We were in San Francisco/Oakland area for a week (2 1/2 years ago) Stayed with Mark (Gandolf here) but didn't really meet anyone else...unless you count when Dave (2Dogs) flagged us down just south of Mt Shasta on our way home. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Rene

[/ QUOTE ]

It was Gandolf.

13. tRustyK5

Mark is a really nice guy, gave us the insiders tour and spent a lot of time with us. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

I took him wheeling when he came up here which was also pretty cool! It's too bad I don't see him here anymore. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Rene