Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

low rpm bog on '87 TBI K5

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by wolfy87, Feb 2, 2004.

1. wolfy87

wolfy87 Registered Member

low rpm bog on \'87 TBI K5

Newbie alert. Been lurking the board for a good while now, and finally deciding to put up a post. Great site. I just purchased an '87 poser rig last week that I am very excited to get into. (Have been tinkering with my 82 for a good while) Its a TBI K5 with 350, 700R4, 6" Pro Comp lift, 35" ProComp mt's and as far as I know stock gearing in the 10 bolts (3.08, 3.42??). Its a mess of a showboat setup as is, but its a super clean TX truck with less than 90k miles that I couldn't lay off. Anywho, its got a definite miss or bog at low rpm's (but not at idle) and at each shift before cleaning out. The miss/ bog is well beyond what the 35's are doing to the highway gears. Any ideas? MAP sensor, TPS sensor...? Has new fuel filter and o2 sensor. By the way, I'll get the gear ratio ironed out soon with either smaller rubber or a axle swap, but need to hammer out the bog first.

2. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Re: low rpm bog on \'87 TBI K5

Could try advancing the timing up a bit. That seemed to help mine a bit during accleration and throttle response. Part of the problem is with 35's and 3.08's the motor is always out of it's powerband. When it revs up it gets back into the correct RPM range prolly is having a hard time gettin those tires movin. My tbi 350 seems to be very happy between 2000-3000 rpms. Somebody else will chime in here I'm sure

3. cavscout19delta

cavscout19delta Registered Member

I'm kind of in the same boat. when i step into the pedal it stumbles and aks like its flooding out. The odd thing it only does it when its warm. If you get any more info plz let me know /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

4. wolfy87

wolfy87 Registered Member

Thanks Brian. The 35's are definitely putting a heavy strain on the motor and tranny with the freeway gears, but its beyond that. From a dead stop, the motor feels like its really loading up and hitting on about 4 cylinders until it smooths out and runs good, then repeats the process at each shift. The truck seems to cruise fine at 55-65 mph.

Anyone have ideas what this might be?

5. detailer03

detailer03 1/2 ton status

Start simple. Bad plug wires, tune up, plugs, cap etc.
    Pull off the air breather assm. let the truck idle Look at the injector spray pattern. Should be a mist. They are easy to change.
    Also, o2 sensor.