Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Low sulpher(SP?) fuel

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by bigfancyname, Jun 22, 2006.

1. bigfancyname

bigfancyname Registered Member

I know this has been talked about, but I went to fill the suburban the other day and noticed the low sulpher(SP?) warning on the pumps. Its obviously happened so whats everyone doing for extra lubrication? My uncle has had his dodge cummins since new (92) and ran a little ATF in every tank and never had a problem. So I think im going to do this till I see a better and possibly more cost effective alternative. On a side note the suburban does seem to be starting alittle easier in the mornings.

2. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

additives...

They sell additives to offset the low sulpher fuel...Marvel Mystery Oil is supposedly a good one,and Standyne sells one also...I've used Marvel mystery Oil in my truck,and it seemed to make it idle smoother---my truck sits a lot,so maybe it freed up my injectors some...it also has that pretty red color like ATF...makes "non taxable" fuel look like the "on road" fuel!...:crazy:

I wonder what the tax nazi's do when they test a tank of fuel, to see if the proper "on road" taxable fuel is being used,and they come out with a test tube full of used french fry oil???....:thinking: :rotfl: ...

3. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

Dunno how it is up your way, but here in PA/NJ, on-road diesel is clear, and off-road diesel is dyed red.

4. 6.2 man

6.2 man 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I read an article on the the new high low sulfer the other day in a tech magazine . The new diesel will be in full effect by 2010 with no choice . Until then you can still but low or high low sulfer.It will change from 500 parts per million to 15 parts per million . It said oil distributers will add a lubricant for IJp's . All 2007 diesels will need this fuel or else it will harm the engine and void the warranty until the if you use the new diesel plan on changing filters fo a while because as you switch over there is sulfer left in the system and it will break loose and clog filters . Also O rings may go ? Hope that helps ???

5. 4by4bygod

4by4bygod 1/2 ton status

The ATF isn't designed to handle the 4200 degree combustion temps.. every time the cylinder fires, you're just making a sticky goo in there, and not solving your problem. Using a small amount of ATF is really just wasting tranny fluid, and not providing lubricity, and using more ATF will just cause problems much sooner. The EP additives in the tranny fluid are designed for a specific application, and your fuel system isn't one of them.

Here's your better, cost effective alternative: http://americancleanenergysystems.com/performance.html#aces2

Tom

6. 4by4bygod

4by4bygod 1/2 ton status

Interesting thing about the stanadyne.. they also make the fuel pump & injection systems for international and some other manufacturers.. since warranties don't cover parts that die from lack of lubrication, why would stanadyne sell an additive that prolongs the life of the parts they can make more money replacing?

Tom

7. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Hmmm...good question..

I'd guess that either:

The stuff does nothing at all,except make them 6.99 a can,or whatever it sells for...and make the owner feel better,thinking that he did something to off set the deadly "low sulpher" goblins.... or,

Its really a injector pump grinding compound ,that makes them croak sooner,so they can sell you a new pump and injectors sooner!...:rolleyes:

My boss at one parts store said to a customer,who asked him what " Motor Medic" does..

"It MIGHT make your engine stop smoking,It MIGHT make it quieter,and it MIGHT make it blow up!...one thing for sure,it WILL make YOU $3.98 poorer!:D ...

8. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

In theory, all that would make sense, but I have used some additives and they work, I could fell the difference at least with the cetane ratings where my engine runs better, as for lubricity i can't tell but I guess I can if I take my pump apart sinse i have been using the additives for 5 years.
    I don't use stanadyne, haven't seen it here but i use the Walmart special :D

9. DieselDan

DieselDan 1/2 ton status

It's not the combustion chamber that fuel is trying to lubricate. It's the rotary injection pump that now must cope with decreased lubrication. The Army has been "blessed" with low lubrication JP8 for years now. Pumps last about half the life as civilian motors (30K is great, but we see alot of idle/low speed time). ATF was, and probably still, being used (recommended by Tank & Automotive Command) as a fuel additive to combat JP8 and elevated under hood temperatures.

10. bigfancyname

bigfancyname Registered Member

Thats the reason I posted this My uncle who has owned his cummins since new(91) has been soing this and never had a issue. My grandfather is also a long time truckdriver and put a quart of ATF in his tanks everymonth. So I dont take this too lightly, though I do trust the people on here.

Now on a side note and hyjacking my own thread my grandpa also said theyput propain directly into the fuel for a minute or two (knowing a bit was excapeing) and what bonded to the fuel and stayed would make those motors run so strong, but hot you could almost see the impellers on the turbo. Never thought of putting it right into the fuel...but it can apparently work just not verry regulated.

Ok enugh hijcking and thanks for the replies so far and in my opinion almost anything in liquid form will combust at 4200 degrees. Just thinking out loud... could be wrong have been before...

11. 4by4bygod

4by4bygod 1/2 ton status

You're right in that the fuel lubricates the injector pump, but that fuel with the ATF in it gets combusted, leaving the goo in the upper cylinder, promoting ring stickiness and wear from the carbon deposits staying in the cylinder where they shouldn't be.

Tom