Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Low Tires- (stupid question)

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by ChevyHuny, Jan 23, 2003.

1. ChevyHuny

ChevyHuny 1/2 ton status

This is going to be a silly question so prepare the /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gifs but I have to ask.

My truck has been sitting on the same tires for the last few years now (not moving much). Just recently it has been moved around and tomorrow I pick it up to use from now on. It seems like if it sits for a few days (1 to 2) the tires will get really low and I have to fill them up again.

My concern is; Next week I need to drive an hour on the highway. I will make sure my tires are at proper pressure but is there a big chance one of them could blow? They were driven a little bit while low moving it from shop to shop (dont think there is too much sidewall damage) but not too much. Is there anything I could put in the tires that will help my chances or should this not be a problem to be concerned about. I do not have insurance on it yet and cant until I get it registered which I will be driving the hour to do. I would hate after all this work to get on the highway and have a tire blow out and get into an accident.

(I have never had a tire go out on me before so I do not know what it is like). /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Let the /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif s begin lol

I can not get tires at this moment but will be working on getting some shortly.

2. great scott

great scott 1/2 ton status

It's a crap shoot but I think you will be ok. you can have the tire's removed from the rim and if you see rubber shavings inside then your tires have damage.

3. Mreetz

Mreetz 1/2 ton status

Not a stupid question at all!! Good ask this before you travel and find out while you're on the highway.

4. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

More than likely you just have a bead leak from rust forming in the bead seat (area where tire and rim come together). Make sure they have enough air before you go and you should be fine. But you should bring the tires in and have the slow leaks repaired as soon as possible.

However on the insurance deal I would try to get it done before you drive on the road. I have never had a problem insuring a vehicle before all the registration was complete. Just call it in and if they ask for a copy of it just tell them you will drop it off next time you are near thier office (or mail a copy). I think WA requires you to have it before you get on the road anyway.

5. BowtieBlazer

BowtieBlazer 1/2 ton status

I believe LA is the same, you need insurance on a vehicle before they will registar it. And you need both for state inspections....

6. ChevyHuny

ChevyHuny 1/2 ton status

Thank you everyone. I will call around more and get the insurance first and I feel better now taking it on the highway.

I will take the tires in when it is registered. I did not know that slow leaks could be repaired. I have taken tires in for holes that were fixed but never slow leaks in a tire that had no hole. That is a relief that I can have it done.

7. JSH

JSH Registered Member

Definitely get the insurance situation worked out before you drive it anywhere. Not so much for your own damage but for the liability. Can you imagine getting into an accident where you are found at fault and not having coverage? Trying to cover somebody else's damages out of pocket, especially if there were an injury, could ruin you financially.

8. SickboySS

SickboySS 1/2 ton status

throw some slime in each one, the green stuff, that'll seal it up nice and good

9. Capman2k

Capman2k 3/4 ton status

I've heard from several knowledgeable people that the green crap is BAD... I also learned how to stop a leak on rear tires on my own using stuff you can buy at wal mart... Front tires apperantly need to be taken off and patched from the inside /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif... Anyway... I had two flat tires over a span of 2 days when I had my Jeep... One went one night on my way to work, then the spare blew when I was on my way to the tire store to buy new ones... I was going about 45 the first time, and I didn't even notice... I turned down the radio when I noticed the truck wasn't accelerating very well, heard this aweful scraping sound and pulled over to inspect it... It was a rear tire, too... Not sure of what happens when a front tire goes... or if a tire blows on the highway... /forums/images/graemlins/crewcab.gif /forums/images/graemlins/crewcab.gif /forums/images/graemlins/crewcab.gif /forums/images/graemlins/crewcab.gif