Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

lower a k5

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by tricked out, Jan 21, 2003.

1. tricked out

tricked out Newbie

i have a 1990 k5 4x4 i am wanting to convert to 2 wheel drive so i can lower it, does anyone know if 81 to 87 truck would work as a donor for chassis parts, thanks for any info in advavnce

2. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

How low do you want to go?? i would look into doing a Mustang Front before i thought about doing a bulky 2wd truck swap. I knwo they make a Mustang II for the 2wd just have to adapt it to the 4wd frame.

Or the other way would be to graph the front of a 2wd frame onto your current chassis, best location to do that is the front (#2) body mount.

For the rear i would do a 4 link. the 4wd brackets set higher so You'd have to do more to get the same. like a 6" drop to only gain a 4".

-Jeremy

3. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

Might be easier to find somebody with a good 2x4 for trade.

4. tricked out

tricked out Newbie

not sure how low just yet i was planning on flipping the rear axle & seeing where the rear sat. As for the front after i swap the chassis from 81-87truck or a suburban up to 91 model i was thinking drop spindles ,possibly lowered coils or what ever the best way is to get the truck down there. I would like to know more about the mustang front swap, thanks!!!

5. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

it's made by fatman fabrication. i'll try do dig up a link

6. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

It's a bolt on. the main frame rails for a 2wd and 4wd are identical. The only difference is the spring hangers for the leafs and the crossmember. All you have to do is take the 4wd cross member and motor mounts out. Set the frame on the 2wd front suspension and most of the holes are there or can be drilled. Bolt on a 2wd box and idler arm, Sway bar brackets and it's done. Any 2wd doaner from 71 (71 is first year of disc) to 87 truck will work. 2wd blazer were only available from 69-82.
    Personnaly I love what 69-72's look like slammed but I don't care for it on 73-91. 73-75 might look ok with the hard top off but the fixed cabs look to stubby and short.
    I have invesigated this to make a pre runner 2wd. To slam you would also want to find a 2wd blazers rear spring hangers. They are shorter.

7. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

I didnt know they stopped the 2 wheel version in '82. I guess thats why you dont see to many of them around. Or at least, around here.

8. BLAZER SS

BLAZER SS Newbie

Does anyone have pictures of their 2WD blazers'
    Please post them or email them to me, i would love to see them.

thanks

9. Michael

Michael 1/2 ton status

Here's one for sale.....wouldn't be too much trouble to slam it.....it that's what floats your boat.
    2WD 1974

10. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I can't believe you're selling that thing!!!/forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif/forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif You'll kick yourself later...

rene

11. Michael

Michael 1/2 ton status

I know..I know...I't really not making me happy......... /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

12. tRustyK5

Sounds like a forced sale of some sort...sorry to hear it./forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif I feel your pain, my 74 is on the block as well. /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif

Rene

13. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    I feel your pain, my 74 is on the block as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

Say it ain't so.......

14. tRustyK5

It is so...I need the money to get my mortgage back to current/forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif D-day for us is March 1st.

So I'll be 0 for 2 for dragging a rust free K5 home and building it./forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

Rene