Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Lower gears for 203 gearbox

Discussion in 'OffRoad Design' started by 4GUNZ4X4Z, Feb 17, 2001.

1. 4GUNZ4X4Z

4GUNZ4X4Z 1/2 ton status

I was wondering if the gears inside a 203 gearbox can be changed to a lower gear. Reason I would like to know is for example if you could change the gears to lets say 3.01 rather then 2.01 that would give you a total of 5.89:1 out of the doubler kit.
    Right now you have 4 ratio options in the doubler kit, 1:1 1.96:1 2.01:1 3.93:1
    What if you could put a low 3.01:1 low range into the 203 gearbox that would give you a wider choice and lower crawl ratio, 1:1 1.96:1 3.01:1 5.89:1
    Thats a big difference. So is it possible to get lower gears into the 203 gearbox? If so do you offer them if not where can I get them, whats the cost, and last but not least am I making any sense or am I all alone.

PS. I cant wait to get the doubler kit

Michael

<font color=blue>Professional <font color=red>JEEP EATER</font color=red> it's a population control thing.</font color=blue>[​IMG]

2. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

At this point, there are no gear options for the 203 gear box. There might be room to fit bigger gears in it, but they haven't been produced since 1979, and the only reason anyone would want them now is the Doubler. Doublers are becoming more popular, but it's not like we're dealing with jeep stuff here. We're keeping an eye on it and if we think there's a good demand for lower gears, we may go for it.
    About the gear ratios, the 2.01 and 1.96 are close enough to 2:1 that you can pretty much call it 2:1 for each box. It's like splitting the difference between 4.09 and 4.11 gears, it just isn't noticible in the real world. Your tire pressure variation with temperature would make more difference I think!
    Generally, I put the 205 into low gear and leave it, then shift the 203 box in and out of low gear for whatever the trail situation is. Most of the time it's in 4:1 low gear, but there are times that the 2:1 is really handy.
    Thanks

Making the world better, one truck at a time.
    [​IMG]
    SW-ORD

3. 4GUNZ4X4Z

4GUNZ4X4Z 1/2 ton status

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr>

About the gear ratios, the 2.01 and 1.96 are close enough to 2:1 that you can pretty much call it 2:1 for each box. It's like splitting the difference between 4.09 and 4.11 gears

<hr></blockquote>

One of my points exactly, with a lower gear you have more options.Basically right now there is 3 option because of the 2:1 being low gear in both cases, but if the gear is lowered in the 203 then you will have an actual 4 options.
    If and when you make a lower gear for the 203 gear box, let me know I'll buy the first one you make. No Joke

Michael

<font color=blue>Professional <font color=red>JEEP EATER</font color=red> it's a population control thing.</font color=blue>[​IMG]

4. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

There's a guy on the pirate board by the handle of 4x4man or 4x4guy that says he has a custom 3:1 in his NP203.

[​IMG]
    Durant, Ok
    I love my SAWZALL!!!

5. 4GUNZ4X4Z

4GUNZ4X4Z 1/2 ton status

Thanx LakeTex. I'll see if I can find him.

6. Stephen

Did a little research on the 3:1 203 deal, it sounds like about 200 lb of excess stuff to achieve a 3:1 low gear. He used some kind of extra gear assembly behind the 203 gearbox. Bottom line, back to the drawing board.

[​IMG]
    SW-ORD

7. pcorssmit

pcorssmit 1/2 ton status

Not sure about the feasability, but it seems to me there would be a much better market for 205 gears.

Pete

'83 K5, 350 TBI (ex 6.2), 700R4, NP208, Dana 60/14 bolt, 4.56s, Detroits, 3" lift, 15-39.5x15 TSLs
    '97 Dodge 2500 4x4 CC LB Sport, Cummins 5 spd

8. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

Better market yes, but the 205 case just isn't big enough to stuff bigger gears into without making it weak...Unless someone is more genius than me. I'm looking at trying to make a lower gearset for my 203, will let you know what comes of it.

[​IMG]
    Durant, Ok
    I love my SAWZALL!!!

9. Stephen

We've looked at the 205 gears, and the case is barely big enough for the gears they used to start with, so I don't think 205 gears are coming. The 203 has some potential room to grow, but not a lot there either.

[​IMG]
    SW-ORD

10. 4GUNZ4X4Z

4GUNZ4X4Z 1/2 ton status

Laketex & Stephen

Let me know what you come up with. Its going to be at least another month before I get the doubler kit, but I sure would like to be able to install a lower gear as well.[​IMG]

Thanx for taking the time to read my post

Michael

11. Yeah, I kinda figured thats why none are available.

Pete

12. Butch

Butch 1/2 ton status

Shawn was talking about 6 months ago about a guy in CA that was working on 3 to 1 gears for a 205, but he was expecting 2000 dollar range for the conversion. Have not heard anything else about it though

I thought I was wrong once,
    but I was mistaken

13. Stephen

For $2K you might as well make it 4:1 and build a new case for it! Advance Adapters isn't the only one that can build a new case.
    I think I'll just stick to the 2:1 / 4:1 and be happy. I'm kind of curious about how useful REALLY low gears are. Toyotas need over 100:1 with the manuals to do much, but even a heavy truck with a reasonable V8 seems fine at 100:1. Course then there's tires....

[​IMG]
    SW-ORD

14. 4GUNZ4X4Z

4GUNZ4X4Z 1/2 ton status

With a automatic its hard to hit 100:1. I really like wheelin with a automatic and most likely won't change over to manaul. My big truck has a 18speed and I get enough of that on the job.

2g's for a 3:1 gear thats freakin nuts!!!

15. Remember the torque converter is worth about 2:1 when you're figuring gear ratios. That's how my auto 56:1 is really crawly when a manual at 56:1 sucks.