Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Lower Gears

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jayccb, Feb 12, 2005.

1. jayccb

jayccb Registered Member

wHAT CAN i EXPECT if I change the gears? I currently am running 3.4? with 35" tires and a stock 350. I replaced the 10 bolt with another 10 bolt when it blew up last year. Will it be quicker off the line? What could I expect on the highway with the lower gears and how might it affect towing?
    Thanks

James

2. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

You left out some information. You originally had 3.42 gears but you didnt tell us what ratio you replaced it with.
    -Harrison

3. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

quicker off line would need shorter tires/deeper gears/higher stall converter

4. goldwing2000

goldwing2000 Guest

If you were to go to, say, a 4.11:1 gearset, you would have better acceleration, lower top speed and higher RPM on the freeway. Towing would be improved because it would be easier to get the power to the road.

If you check out this chart, it will give you an idea of where you want to be.

You're running the same combination I am, and I'm planning on going to a 4.11, maybe a 4.56 if I'm feeling saucy.

5. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

Like others said, you will get more torque and acceleration but will turn higher rpm's on the highway. Going from 3.42 to 4.10 would be a noticeable change. If you went to 3.73, it wouldnt really make a huge difference.
    -Harrison