Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Lower Rad Hose fit problems??

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Burt4x4, Mar 3, 2005.

1. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Ok so I started my 454 last sunday again. My fans were not comming on so I shut it off when the 454 got up over 200deg. No biggy so I whip out the scematic and lean on the front of my rig and then POW SAWWOOOOSH the freakin lower rad hose blew it self off the water pump neck and water went all over. The first time I started the BBC that same hose leaked due to the clamp not being tight enough. When the hose is installed it has a slight kink in it right below the water pump. Basically it doesn't fit too well.

How does one go about finding the right hose in a custom aplication?
    I know about flex hoses but would prefer a molded hose as it puts less strain/force on the lower rad inlet pipe. The flex hose is very stuff and really wants to stay straight, anyone have a flex hose cause problems?

What kind of hose are you BBC owners using for the lower?

2. Yukon Jack

Yukon Jack 1/2 ton status

I couldn't find a hose to work in my application. What I ended up doing was getting a lower hose for like a 72 2wd big block truck and a generic hose with a 90 degree bend in it. I then got a radiator style coupler that I beleive is brass with bead type flared ends to join the two hoses together. I cut the hoses to the correct lenght and they fit perfectly now with no leaking. The only downside is when I have to replace it I will have to buy two hoses. I should probably go ahead and buy two more just to have on hand in case of an emergency.

Do you want me to get you a pic of this setup?

3. Klef72K5

Klef72K5 1/2 ton status

I had the same problem on my Jeep when I put the 350 in it. What I did was take a old hose cut it up and taped it back together to what I was needing as far as bends and length then I took it to NAPA and told them I was looking for a hose similar to this. He even let me do the looking. Sounds like a hillbilly story but it work out great and went fast.

4. KiwiK5

KiwiK5 Registered Member

Anyone have any experience with this stuff?

http://www.coolflex.com/cfm/welcome.cfm

I've seen these hoses and similar under the hoods of a lot of hot rods, street rods, and customs. It looks sexy and, no surprise, the website copy makes it sound like it'll cool your engine, reroof your house, and keep you girlfriend satisfied. It might be worth a try.

BTW: Thanks Burt for posting those videos. That Rat makes some sweet music!

5. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

I went to napa last night and bought a lower hose for a 2wd BBC truck. I haven't had a chance to see if it will fit but sure looks close. Alot better than the hose I had for a 69 396/402 truck...

I hope to get a new camera soon then I will re-post some video. That video I got posted doesn't capture the true sound and throttle resopnce this 454 is spittin out..freakin scary badass sounding to say the least....especially with the choped 2chamber Flows I have on it right now. LOUD:D
    After I get it rolling I will swap in the 70series BBC Flows:cool1: and get the O2sensor added to the FI setup.

Thanks for the reply guys, oh and YJ I may have to do what you did if I cannot get a molded hose to fit...time will tell
    Burt

6. RingMaster4x4

RingMaster4x4 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Gates makes a rubber flex hose that I used on my blazer. you can get them in all lenghts. The one I have is like 3'-4' long.