Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

lower than normal oil pressure readings with new mech. gauge?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Bross82, Mar 6, 2003.

1. Bross82

Bross82 1/2 ton status

I installed the new mechanical oil pressure gauge the other day, and ran it for a while and everything seemed very close to normal as far as oil pressure goes. This would be about 45 psi by the old gauge, and 40 psi by the new gauge. I figured its a lot better than 0 psi so maybe the mechanical gauge's better accuracy was the cause of the difference.

I drove it today, and it seemed to run fine. However, after running and driving for 15-20 minutes the oil pressure decreased from about 40 psi to about 30 psi while the truck was in motion. When it was stopped at a light and just idling it would go down as low as 20 psi. When in park (without driving) it would typically read out 40 psi or a little higher (even if running for 15-20 minutes), and 30 psi if put in park after driving for 15-20 min.

I don't recall seeing such fluctuations at every little change in the rpm's of the engine. With the old gauge, if i had problems, it was when it started it would run high (as much as 60 psi) and after driving for about 5-10 minutes it would go down to normal... This had also served as a sign I may have been a half a quart low on oil because of an oil leak.

Are the increased fluctuations in the needle of the gauge and lower psi readings from more accurate readings from the mechanical gauge?? Or is it a sign something else is still wrong? But when I posted before with the old electrical gauge, before I stopped driving it, it read out 0-5 psi at idle and 15-20 psi while driving. So this gauge atleast has an improved reading, but I dont know why its lower than it used to normally be.

thank you for any help,
    matt

2. FatBoyBlazer

FatBoyBlazer 1/2 ton status

not to sure matt but you parked next to me at the movies the other night........

3. OneBBBurb

OneBBBurb Registered Member

I have the same problem right about time to change the oil.I have noticed with certain filters they clog up quicker than others.Its worth a shot /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif <font color="blue"> </font>