Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

lower transfer case or lengthen shaft??

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by boggerless, Dec 18, 2004.

1. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

i have a six in lift and the drve shaft needs to be lengthened. i don't think it's cuz of the lift though.i already had a helper spring in the pack so we just installed the new one under it. now it seems that this set up is slowly turning the pinion angle down. it's strait forward now. no upward angle at all. even with the tapered block.( i'm just going to get new six inch springs this summer). SO until then should i lower the t-case and add shims to the rear or lengthen the drive shaft and posibly have to shorten it later??? six inches isn't enough to need a longer shaft IMO. thanks daryl

2. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

i'd say 6" is plenty to need a longer shaft. i would drop the transfer case with the spacers that are inside the framerails, then see how much you need the shaft lengthened. or pony up the cash for a CV shaft.for that you want the pinion pointing almost directly at the t-case output.

3. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

pm Drivelineman, he's the guru of driveshafts.

4. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

What kind of driveshaft is this? What kind of transfer case? Rear axle? Length?

5. boggerless

stock?,203,12 bolt, length -to cold to go out and measure it. TJ said he would lengthen it but i need the pig turned up first to get the right length.

6. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Considering it's a stock 1/2 ton driveshaft, I think this is the perfect time to upgrade to a 1 ton rated driveshaft. I wouldn't spend a dime on the shaft you have now.

7. boggerless

what shaft do you recomend?? from what truck and what u joints work?? thanks