Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Lower & Upper Ball joint question

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by spencerjw, Nov 21, 2001.

1. spencerjw

spencerjw Registered Member

Well, it looks as though I need to replace these here pretty soon. Has anyone done this themselves? I got a quote from Brakes Plus for $538. I asked him how much parts for it cost and he said $40-$50, so there's about $500 in LABOR! Over my dead body!

Is it possible to do these myself with the tools that a relatively stocked garage would have? Nothing special, but got pretty much anything I'd ever need on a regular basis.

Anything you could provide would be great!!!

Spencer Winegarden
    spencer@winegarden.org
    AIM - DrDiesel21
    ICQ - 37550428

2. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

My fingers are tired. at the top of the page is a button marked "search". Chose "all" for the date range. type in Ball Joint. You should pull up about 50 posts that explain how to do the job. Not hard. Just takes half the day and that's why it's so expensive but that guy was a littl out of line if he wasn't doing new seals at the same time.
    Need 2 special tools. One of the tools you will need to make from a socket because they are hard to find. The other is a hub socket. $20 at most parts stores. When your buying the hub socket pick up a Haynes Shop manual because it also has the instructions and the torq specs and proper way to set the preload on the ball joints and wheel bearings.
    Down side. if it hasn't been done you might as well pick up inner axle seals. if they are old they will probaly fail when you pull the shafts and in 2 weeks you will be pulling it all apart to change them to fix the resulting leak. Might as well get it out of the way. Many of the posts you will find when you do the search will have how to change them also. have fun reading [​IMG]

Women dig dents and flat paint!
    coloradok5.com/gallery/Grim
    75 Jimmy, Dollar
    Grim-Reaper

3. cegusman

cegusman 3/4 ton status

How do you replace the inner axle seal, Is that located near the carrier.

Houston, TX

4. FRIZZLEFRY

FRIZZLEFRY 1/2 ton status

Executioner, where are ya with yer "understand upper ball joint preload"speel.[​IMG]

Some people shouldnt drive anything bigger than their head.<a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/beaterwhang>community.webshots.com/user/beaterwhang</a>

5. Grim-Reaper

Yep and you got to yank the carrier to do it. [​IMG] Watch the shims on the 10 bolt. D44 is no problem because the shims are under the breaings. It's covered in several of theposts in search.

75 Jimmy, Dollar
    Grim-Reaper

6. kumma

kumma 1/2 ton status

I just did this job myself last week. yes you can do it. Some of the special tools you need are a wheel bearing socket, a ball joint press, rented for 7 bucks and a ball joint spanner wrench. Search for ftn's write up it was pretty helpful. All total I spent about 200 bucks and learned a lot in the process. Good luck

"Why is there a <font color=red>watermelon</font color=red> here?"

7. cegusman

cegusman 3/4 ton status

how hard is it to reinstall the carrier for someone that has never done it before? Any tricks I should know

Houston, TX

8. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

I find it hard to believe the parts will only cost $40 - $50. [​IMG]

I have done quite a few ball joints and for 4 ball joints, the price for those alone will push $100. And that's for good ball joints. [​IMG]

This job is fairly easy once you get the hang of it and have the proper tools. You will like doing it in the future after you have done this yourself. It will be a good way for you to make some extra $$$ when your buddies need the same thing done to their trucks. [​IMG] [​IMG]

I'm not picking my nose...I'm just pointing at my brain!! [​IMG]

<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/thatK30guy>The K30 Collection</a>

9. Grim-Reaper

Yeah the parts price was pretty low. He either uses junk or gets a killer deal or pulled that quote out of thin air. I would look for TRW or MOOG ball joints. They are a little better quality. Advanced is where I got the TRW's. They were a little over $100 for 4.
    Complete set of seals for wheels and inners will set you back about $100 also. NAPA carries DANA seals. Open the box before you buy. DANA is getting cheap on us and sourcing Japan and China seals. China and Japan have crappy rubber products...avoid them when possible. Try to find some "made in the USA". look at the part for the made in USA. Don't asume that because it came in a DANA box that it's a USA part.
    Find that old as dirt NAPA store if you can. They will have some older stock and better chance of finding US.

75 Jimmy, Dollar
    Grim-Reaper

10. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

He (the shop) was probably only going to do one side...

Ratch
    <a target="_blank" href=http://k5.8m.com>k5.8m.com</a>
    Welcome to America. <P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by newyorkin on 11/22/01 10:21 AM.</FONT></P>

11. Executioner

Executioner 1/2 ton status

Temp. Ft. Walton Beach Fl. home=Tucson, Az.
    You did it for me , Thanks
    Looks like my posting for Upper Ball-Joint Pre-Load is paying off(atleast being read) !