Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

lowering a 4x4

Discussion in 'Other Rides' started by pigboy, Jul 10, 2001.

1. pigboy

pigboy Newbie

whats the best way to go about completely slamming an 89 gmc jimmy 4x4 to the ground? im willing to use airbags or air shocks

2. Blaze

Blaze 1/2 ton status

Uh, why? You know, 4wd doesn't work when you have NO ground clearance. Why not just buy a 2wd truck and drop it. Lowering a 4x4 is about the dumbest thing I have ever seen - no offense.

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www4.ncsu.edu/~brschoch>http://www4.ncsu.edu/~brschoch</A>

3. Prembird

Prembird 1/2 ton status

well lowering a 4x4 is harder then lowering a 4x2 but it can be done.. as for why someone would want to do it.. There are alot of reasons i have heard... One of them being simply they want a lowered look to the truck but want to keep the 4x4 part for winter driving.. these people dont use it to go off road but want the security of have the 4x4 there just in case.. You will need to check into lowering springs, shocks/struts, coil over setups, dont know if it has drop spindles.. etc... check out the web... you will find someplace.. also check out this site..they might have something for you ...
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.driverfx.com>http://www.driverfx.com</A>

Prembird
    [​IMG] <font color=blue> If it aint</font color=blue><font color=red> LOUD </font color=red><font color=blue> Then turn it </font color=blue><font color=red> UP</font color=red> [​IMG]

4. DMK

DMK 1/2 ton status

Is it fullsize or an s truck?

5. pigboy

pigboy Newbie

its the s-10 or 15, im not looking to go off roading, just making a lowrider

6. Blaze

Blaze 1/2 ton status

It's definitely going to be a pain to do with an IFS 4x4. You have to deal with the ball joints, CV joints, torsion bars, and all that junk. A 2wd would be much easier and cheaper. I suggest you trade in that 4x4 for a 2wd one and go from there.

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www4.ncsu.edu/~brschoch>http://www4.ncsu.edu/~brschoch</A>

7. bandit

bandit 1/2 ton status

the rear would be easy on a s10 just put lowering blocks or lowering shackles on it the front maybe you can loseing the tosin bars alot and it ill drop it thats what i would try

AJ
    Soon to wheelin spot near you
    Project Harvey[​IMG]

8. LKJR

LKJR 1/2 ton status

pigboy you don't want to bother trying to lower a 4x4. Get a 2wd truck to lower, it's way too much trouble to do it with all the extra drivelines. Trust me slamming trucks was my forte over the last 8 yrs or so. Bell-Tech did make a lowering kit for the 4wd tahoe when it first came out but that was because it was only avail. in a 4wd. Also, the best website for you to get on dealing with lowering trucks is www.sportruck.com
    they pretty much deal with show trucks and slammed rides, good site. as far as the rear is concerned if you can afford springs that would be your best bet, front I'd use spindles, I've got spindles and blocks on my sonoma, and I don't really like the blocks so..... but the spindles are the best route cause they don't change your geometry.
    hope this helps

Like em big and topless

9. K10ANDYKHAMNIC

K10ANDYKHAMNIC 1/2 ton status

there is a special place in hell for lowered 4x4 s trucks and........

WHATS WRONG WITH A 305 ?

10. not4show

not4show 1/2 ton status

I'll second that!

Never put a stupid move passed a stupid person.

11. Burbinator

Burbinator 1/2 ton status

And I'll third that! Don't waste a completely good 4X4, pigboy. Trade it in on a 4X2 and give someone who will actually appreciate the truck a chance to buy it and use it for the purposes it was designed for. It will cost a fortune to do it and it will still look stupid!

- Alan

'82 K10 Suburban Silverado (AKA U.S.S. Nimitz)

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut!

12. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

I think a lowered 4x4 downsize would look cool on those maxxis vampire atv tires...rokon!!!

Sherman, Tx
    <font color=red>THE OFF- ROAD GOES ON FOREVER AND THE PARTY NEVER ENDS!!
    </font color=red>

13. Burbinator

Burbinator 1/2 ton status

Sure...for street ops, but not off-road. A Caprice Classic station wagon would do better than a lowered 4X4 downsize!

- Alan

'82 K10 Suburban Silverado (AKA U.S.S. Nimitz)

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut!

14. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

Look into what GMC used in its Typhoon/Syclone. It is just a lowered s truck and is all wheel drive. I have a exploded drawing of the front suspension if you would like it e-mailed to you just e-mail me. It looks exactly like a regular 4wd to me but maby they have different A-arms

When I have the time and $$$ I want to do something like this to my s truck. BTY it still is the fastist production p/u at 0-60 in 4.6sec. That is what AWD traction can do.

'71 Blazer CST w/ a 400sbc, 4" lift, 36" Supper Swampers, and alot of rust
    <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/triaged>See it Here </a>

15. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

oh sure, skid plate the whole bottom of the thing in that really slick plastic, you'd just SLIDE over stuff....

Sherman, Tx
    <font color=red>THE OFF- ROAD GOES ON FOREVER AND THE PARTY NEVER ENDS!!
    </font color=red>

16. LKJR

LKJR 1/2 ton status

The transfer case is geared completely different than a 4x4 is on a AWD vechicle.

Like em big and topless
    Excuse me...Would you mind removing your import from under my chevy?

17. ChevyHuny

ChevyHuny 1/2 ton status

When you are done lowering your 4X4 please send me a pic. I have a page on my website Id like to add it too. Its called WHAT NOT TO DO WITH YOUR CAR. Thanks in advance.