Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Lowering a transfer case on a Crew Cab...?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 1-ton, Oct 14, 2005.

1. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I have a small amount of drive shaft vibration on my 1-ton Crew Cab 4X4 at 15 and 35 MPH. I want to lower my transfer case, after I have taken some driveline angle measurements, to stop the vibration. My truck is a long wheelbase Crew Cab 4X4 with a carrier bearing behind the transfer case. I was wondering if just lowering the carrier bearing would do it, or would I need to lower both the transfer case and the carrier bearing? Anybody have any suggestions on this?

2. 425 Xpedition

425 Xpedition 1/2 ton status

I lowered the carrier bearing on mine and cured the vibrations.

3. 1-ton

COOL :laugh:! That will be a "piece of cake". Just throw a few washers (or maybe a piece of plate steel) between the bearing and frame, and I'm good to go. Thanks for the reply!

4. ccj8008

ccj8008 1/2 ton status

Itook a piece of 3x3 square tube, drilled 4 holes and used it to lower the carrier bearing. Worked for me (6" lift).

5. 1-ton

WOW! 3" is a lot of correction. I am thinking I will only need between 1" and 2" at most. I am think of using some pieces of flat steel, and just drill a couple of holes in it, then sandwinch them between the bearing and frame, in order to drop my carrier bearing.