Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Lowering T-Case ???'ss

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BlazerWheels, Jun 12, 2004.

1. BlazerWheels

BlazerWheels 1/2 ton status

Lowering T-Case ???\'ss

If I lower the t-case to get a better angle on the driveshaft, is there anything else that I need to do other than move the spacers (or make a spacer block)??? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif
    Is it realley as simple as that??? /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif
    1. Unbolt crossbar
    2. Using floor jack, lower just slightly
    3. Move spacers from above frame to sandwiched in between, and rebolt????
    Is that it, or am I missing something important??? /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif
    Help is always appreciated /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

2. ugly_blazer

ugly_blazer 1/2 ton status

Re: Lowering T-Case ???\'ss

That's it /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Of course the spacer blocks would be better.

3. 81jimmyslt

81jimmyslt 1/2 ton status

Don't forget about the shift linkage for your tranny and transfer case. Both will most likely need adjustment.

4. BlazerWheels

[ QUOTE ]
    Don't forget about the shift linkage for your tranny and transfer case. Both will most likely need adjustment.

[/ QUOTE ] That's what I mean, is there something else like this that I need to be aware of and how do you do it????

5. tweaker

tweaker 1/2 ton status

just did this two weeks ago and it turned out great. blocks are the only way to go. when you pull off the crossmember the frame will tend to twist a bit so amke sure you've got a friend to help you re-install it with the blocks. now once you start putting stuff into place you'll see that not doing everyting at once is a good thing. get one bolt through the block, cross-member, and the frame for each side and put a nut on them only about 6 or 7 threads worth. then get the biggest chevy adjustment tools you've got(sledge hammer/pry bar) and set the other two bolts. once you got the nuts started on all four go to town and toghten them all down and you may want to consider double nutting them. extra angle + extra flex = extra stress solution more nuts.

later on if you do a corp14 swap you may want to lift the truck another 4" so you don't have to shorten the rear drive shaft. we did a shackle flip 4" spring lift and a np205 swap and t-case drop and it worked out perfect. just ask sr175.

late

6. BlazerWheels

Tweaker, I still have your PM...thanks...I just wanted to make sure there wasn't any extra steps that I didn't know about.
    I guess I still have one question...

If/when I lower the crossbar, won't that lower the Tranny as well?? will that cause any problems with the tranny/engine??? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

7. thedrip

thedrip 1/2 ton status

I had to drop my tcase an inch, just to get the two tranny mount bolts to line up right. Used the stock spacers for now, but the truck isn't going anywhere, I'll be going with 1" box tube and grade 8 bolts to make this a 'permanent' fix.

8. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

watch how far you drop it... my distributor cap almost mashes on the firewall.... think about it.. you pitch the back of the motor but dont drop the front = another angle!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

9. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

I ahd some really really crappy angles and I hade to lower my t-case 2 inches and I can still slide my finger behind the distributor, I would not use the stock spacers they but to much stress on one spot I used 2 1" pieces of square tubing and it works good, I have to save up for a HAD cv shaft so I can make a flat bottom.
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. BlazerWheels

OK all is done, and for now I have to use the stock spacers...But even after dropping the Tcase, there is still vibrations (not as bad, but still there). Is my only next option a CV driveshaft??? Is there possibly anoth fix that can be done for little $$$???? /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

11. 85mudblazin

just lower the t-case say another 1/2 inch and see if that fixes it I did that until I got to 2inches and then it stopeb but even if I raise it a 1/2 inch I get vibs. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

12. NerdBoy

NerdBoy 1/2 ton status

Just out of curiosity, what did you do, exactly, to get to the point where you need to lower your transfer case? The reason I am asking is because, if you did a shackle flip, it may not be a bad idea to think about putting some 5* shims on your back axle, to lower that pinion down. When I did my flip, the pinion ended up pointing directly at the transfer case, and, and shimming it to get the u-joint angles a little more similar to each other helped out a lot with the vibration. (I lowered my transfer case, too)

13. 85mudblazin

I had to do it because my driveshaft is too short and when I tried to shim the rear axle it would pull the driveshaft out to much and my tranny fluid would leak out, I am just saving up to buy a cv shaft like I wanted to begin with instaed of spending the money to have the driveshaft lengthened.
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif