Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Lowering the T-case driveline issues

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by xnoahx, Aug 6, 2001.

1. xnoahx

xnoahx 1/2 ton status

ok, i understand that lowering the transfer case reduces the angles and distances that the drive shafts have to put up with but wouldnt lowering the tcase have an effect on the engine and trans mounting since they are all connected? Wouldn't it put more stress on the engine mounts?

Check out my 73 K5 <a target="_blank" href=http://members.theglobe.com/xnoahx/73k5.htm>http://members.theglobe.com/xnoahx/73k5.htm</a>

2. gokartergo

gokartergo 3/4 ton status Staff Member Moderator

You are only lowering it one in. And look at distance from the t-case to the engine mounts...........Dan

If it ain't broke.......Don't fix it....

3. Sammy

Sammy 1/2 ton status

How do you lower it anyway? Just spacers?

"1988 K5 Grand GT Blazer Silverado in the Netherlands."

4. Yes, it will put a bit more stress on the motor mounts. But if you use the factory supplied spacers then you would only be outting minimal stress on them. So if your worried about it, dont...ITs all good,

Damn I need to learn how to use my welder!![​IMG]
    (90 Jimmy 350 TBI, 14 FF/10 bolt, 4.56, tires ??
    (ftn96)

5. Medman74K5

Medman74K5 Registered Member

Last time I atempted to lower my transfer case it pushed my distributor up against the firewall and busted a motor mount. Ended up putting everthing back were it was and got a longer driveline problem resolved, no vibes so far. Just my experience. All trucks are a little different.

6. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

Use the factory spacers. On mine, the passenger side had the spacers on the top of the bolts next to the nuts. On the drivers side, the spacers were under the frame rail near the head of the bolts. Just remove the bolts and the spacers. Lower the t-case just enough for the spacers to fit between the crossmember and the frame rail. Put the bolts back into place with the spacers between the crossmember and frame rail and you're all done. Nothing to it.

Brian
    Click to see <a target="_blank" href=http://tx85gmcguy.alloffroad.com> My 85 Jimmy </a>

7. fr8train

fr8train 1/2 ton status

Did it this weekend. I had thought about the added stress on the motor mounts but it didnt look as crooked as I thought it would be. there are little drum spaces on the bolts hold the case to the frame. Take your jack and place it under the t-case. Remove the bolts and slowly drop the case down just enough to get the spacers back in. For shieets&amp;giggles check your clearances of your distributer. We didnt have a problem. It wasnt HEI so it was a tad smaller. just to double check we fastened the stuff abck to gether and cranked the engine. No bump, rub, or breaks. It does take more elbow grease to get the cap off now and I did move the adjust collar around for better acces. I hope this ansewers any questions.

8. Mreetz

Mreetz 1/2 ton status

This is all great information, thanks for sharing!

1984 K-5
    4" lift
    35x12.5 MTs
    buildin a 400 for it, any info greatly appreciated