Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Lowering The T Case (Pic)

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by dawson444, Jan 9, 2001.

1. dawson444

dawson444 1/2 ton status

I just lifted my K5 4" when I hit around 45 MPH i get a vibration then when I let off the gas it goes away so my guess is it is the T case needs to be lowered. I want to make sure I'm going to do it right. Do I take out the spacer circled and put it between the frame and the cross member and bolt it back up? Is that it? Whats the deal w/ the T case lowering kit?
    [​IMG]
    Thanks!

Dawson
    88 K5

2. dewey

dewey Registered Member

That's right. Although I did this exact thing on my 87 jimmy, and the vibration did decrease by about 75%. this was with just a 2.5" lift. People now are advising me to get a cv cadillac driveshaft, etc...I would live with the vibrations, but I'm getting tired of replacing pinion seals...

D.

3. rezalb

rezalb 1/2 ton status

I am in the midst of a 4" lift with a 14 ff with 3/4 tons springs on rear and a front rancho 86206 springs..motor is a 454 to TH400 to 203.....should I expect vibs??????OR WHAT.

rezalB

Built for a purpose.

4. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

Dawson444, I take it that you got the blocks install ok?
    As far as the t-case lowering, yes you will need to do that. And there is a chance that it will not get rid of all the vibs but should be alot better anyway.

Will work for parts, beer and sex.
    90 Jimi,350/700R4/241/10bolts/3.73's/33's/4"
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://mccordhouse.freeservers.com>http://mccordhouse.freeservers.com</A>

5. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

You asked whats the deal onw/ T-case Lowering kits is some vehicals don't have the spacers on there K-5.....

C'moe

<font color=black>the blazer is "Back in Black"

6. DPI

DPI 1/2 ton status

It looks like your front driveshaft is hitting the exhaust. Is this the case? Dropping the case down will most likely cause it to hit.

[​IMG]

7. dawson444

dawson444 1/2 ton status

DOH! Thanks for noticing that DP_90K5, when I lower it the front driveshaft is going to be resting on the exhaust pipes, well I guess its off to the exhaust shop tomorrow after school and see what the guy can do, I'm going to see if he can cut the pipe and put in kind of a spacer to lower the pipes. Ya'll got any ideas? Thanks!

Dawson
    88 K5

8. dawson444

dawson444 1/2 ton status

ftn96- yea I got the blocks installed fine, I meant to send you an e-mail when I got them, but I forgot, they installed fine, thanks!
    rezalb- really the only way to know if your T case is going to need lowering is to do the lift and drive it, I though I was fine until I got up to around 45MPH one day and it started vibrating.

Dawson
    88 K5

9. 84k5

84k5 1/2 ton status

They don't need to put spacers on the exhaust. The guy at the local shop just cut mine off and bent a new one that was a little longer. Cost me $50 and took about 45 min.

Brian
    84k5
    [​IMG]

10. Wheels

Wheels 1/2 ton status

Here's some food for thought after you drop the t-case:
    After I lifted mine (4") and drove it around, I had a vibration problem. Put the spacers in and the vibration was not as bad but I could still feel it. Checked the u-joints (they were brand new prior to the drive) and the ends showed a little wear (as evident from the original machining pattern). Took the drive shaft down and it needed to be 1 3/4" longer (slip joint was almost to the end). Put it back in and the vibration was less noticable. Went down and bought 2 new u-joints and the vibration finally went away. Your t-case looks like it is the type that has a slip yoke for the rear shaft and the length may not be a problem for you (mine is a NP203). If you still have vibration, mark the slip joint/yoke area with a permanent marker, run a line on it at the seal area, and see how much is still inside. Then check the u-joints for wear by removing one of the caps. Mine started at around 50 mph and it seemed like a harmonic vibration and not the type that shook your teeth out. I had to really feel and listen for the vibration after each repair on a smooth black top road. If the vibration is gone, then your okay.