Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Lowering to stock

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jason952, Apr 17, 2005.

1. jason952

jason952 Newbie

Fellas, I found a nice K5, but I would like it to have a better ride, there is currently a 6" lift on it from what I can tell. What are the options to lower it? should I just got back to the stock springs and hardware? I wouldn't mind a 2" drop, just something mild. I have done this on a 2wd 1500 '85 but with the front alxe there, what are the lowering options. I don't want anything extreme like bags, etc. Also, any vendors you recommend for these parts? thanks,

Jason
    K5 wannabe

2. bigbadchev84

bigbadchev84 1/2 ton status

please dont lower a 4x4! it just isnt right!

3. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

Don't lower it. Lowered 4x4 = worthless. You're taking an offroad vehicle from someone who'd actually use it. Just switch to stock springs or a 2" lift and it will ride better. Make sure the driveshafts weren't lengthened for the kit that's on it so when you lower the amount of lift, it doesn't start breaking things.

4. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

im hoping he means a 2" drop from his 6" lift, not 2" lower than stock.
    gonna be hard to lower a SFA truck like these lower than stock, if thats what you want. you can get the truck to ride better than stock with the right setup.

i like Tuff Country springs. i'd get a 3" spring for the front and a either a 4" shackle flip kit w/ stock springs, or 2.5 flip with stockers+1"zero rate for the back.

check out OffroadDesign.com good vender for parts

5. PhoenixZorn

PhoenixZorn 1/2 ton status

If it already has a 6 inch lift, you already have done what most of us have to do anyway.

If it is a K5... it is meant to be jacked up... Chevy and GMC made the things ride a little higher on purpose... you drop it down below stock height and you might as well buy a S-10 Blazer.

In all honesty, it has a 6 inch lift... find out who makes the springs you have on it now, how many leaves there are, and what it would cost for a new set from a different company. Like previously said, you can get a wonderful ride on a lifted blazer, if it's done right.... better sometimes than stock. Also, I'm willing to bet if it's got a really rough ride, it's got blocks in the back, and if so, you just need to remove them and do a little bit of extra work to get it to ride like it's stock once again.

Seriously though... if you want to lower the thing, come to Waterloo, Wisconsin with it, and I'll trade you my stock height rig for your lifted one... I even have a brand spanking new engine...

6. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

lol, this should be nooo problem.

step 1) find a local ck5 guy with a bone stock K5 that wants to lift his rig. Invite him over.

step 2) remove the lift from your rig and the stock stuff from his rig.

step 3) install the stock junk in your rig and the lift stuff in his rig

step 4) drink beer.

j