Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

lowering Transfer case

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by TheGeneral, May 5, 2001.

1. TheGeneral

TheGeneral 1/2 ton status

Well, just got the four inch put on with the new axles and all is well. Just wondering if lowering the transfer case about a inch and half would be better for the drivelines, and if I do it, will it cause any undue stress or operating problems with trans (automatic) and engine mounts area. I don't think this has to be done, given it is only a 4 inch lift, but I figured what the hell, if it will help drive line angles without causing any other problems. Hope to hear soon, as I still have alot of stuff disconnected underneath truck. This is on my 89 K5, now with four inch, 14 bolt and dana 60. Pictures soon, as I am now not as embarrassed to post pictures.

If you ain't hurt, you ain't playin' hard enough.

The General

2. SWAMPRNR

SWAMPRNR 1/2 ton status

My 82 K5 Has a 4 Inch Lift And The Transfer Case Had To Be Dropped About 1 Inch To Help The Drive Shaft Angles Work.
    It Did Not Cause Any Problems With My Auto Tranny Or T-Case.
    Daily Driver And Play Toy For 5 Years .

3. CV202

CV202 1/2 ton status

My 90 has a 4" lift as well and the T-case is lowered 1". The only thing I get is a little chatter from the clutch when its disengaged. Doesn't seem to hurt it any. (and it may not even be the lowering that caused it now that I think about it) [​IMG]

Why do people keep calling it a Bronco!!!!! [​IMG]

4. yeild2me

yeild2me 1/2 ton status

i dont know if there is a difference, but i have a 2wd 14 bolt and an ord shackle flip, and even with the t-case dropped 1 inch, i still had to shim the pinion DOWN 2 1/2 degrees because of the difference in the angles. its better, and although i should go 4 degrees on the pinion, it looks like to much for the yoke to handle so i may drop the t-case another 1/2 inch....has anyone dropped there t-case more than 1"?

it vibrates aorund 55-60...not nearly as bad as it did, but some

AIRBORNE!!

5. Confederate9

Confederate9 1/2 ton status

TheGeneral ~ thats kinda comical because the name of my blazer is "The General"
    it even says it on the windshield
    check it out at my webpage.

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://confederate9.coloradok5.com/>http://confederate9.coloradok5.com/</A>
    <font color=red>K5: Because size DOES matter</font color=red>
    [​IMG]

6. Mudfreak

Mudfreak 1/2 ton status

I made my own spacers out of aluminum, they're one inch and work well for relieving the drive line vibes.

7. Derf00

Derf00 1/2 ton status

Don't forget that "lowering the transfer case" is somewhat of a misnomer. You are actually tilting the entire engine, transmission, and transfer case down. You need to make sure that you have clearence for your distributor, fan, etc. if you go more than the 1" spacers that are already on the t'case.

Derf00
    http://www.derf00.coloradok5.com
    "Four wheel drive allows you to get stuck in a more inaccessible place."

8. TheGeneral

TheGeneral 1/2 ton status

Everyone, thanks for the info. Since I didn't hear any negative aspects to it, I am going to lower her with the spacers already on the crossmember. I should have the clearance with distributor and I'll have to check fan before turning her over.

If you ain't hurt, you ain't playin' hard enough.

The General

9. azblazor

azblazor 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I have a 79 with a 4L80E (overdrive) and a NP205, this makes for an even shorter rear drive line. Mine has about 1.5 " spacers I think.

10. nyyef

nyyef 1/2 ton status

azblazer, what did it take to install the 4L80E to the 205? how did you get the computer to hook or did you use a diesel version.
    details please, i am considering this or a NV4500 swap.
    TIA

Knife.
    knife.coloradok5.com

11. azblazor

The 4L80E is controlled by a factory computer setup - it was installed with it's 94 454fi. The 205 is mated to the trans with a custom machined adapter. Oh, for the record - I'm AZblazOR not AZblazER - just to keep things on the level. I'm a newguy here. Saudia Arabia Huh? Wow.

12. azblazor

Knife,
    Also if you need sometime I could take pics.

13. nyyef

nyyef 1/2 ton status

actually i have wanted to switch mine to an auto but i want OD. the only problem i am having is over here we dont have that many diesel trucks to take the harness out of. JET sell them for too much.
    i am interested in the adapter that was used to mate the two.

Knife.
    knife.coloradok5.com

14. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

If you don't have any vibes now don't mess with it. All you will be doing is giving up clearance. That said mine is lowered. It seems to be more necesarry with the slip yoke equipped cases. If you have post lift vibes this is a cheap way to fix it.

Jim '80 GMC
    Freedom First!
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.bigjbear.coloradok5.com>http://www.bigjbear.coloradok5.com</A>

15. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

General, if your rig is running smooth with no wierd vibes, leave the T-case spacers where they are. They asre only for those of us who have to play with driveline angles. Like BigjBear said, that is mostly what we have to do with slip yoke t-case, such as the 208 and 241.
    If you are dead set on releaving any undo driveline stress then you would need to get your perches re angled and then get yourself a CV shaft. Pretty expensive though.
    Jesse at Highdriveline sales the shafts for about $325 for the 1/2 ton units and about $385 for the 1 ton unit. But if you have a 208 or 241 then you will have to get a slip yoke eliminator kit, which would be another $325 minus the CK5 10% discount

Will work for beer, parts and tools.
    90-350TBI-TCI700-241-33"-10/12 bolt w/4.10's,
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.nashvillek5.freeservers.com>http://www.nashvillek5.freeservers.com</A>

16. 2Dogs

2Dogs 1/2 ton status Premium Member

ftn96,
    If you get the CV joint driveline, do you still need to lower xfer case?

17. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

NO, thats the beauty of it. YOu get to raise the T-case back up to stock position and this in return also takes some angle and binding issues away from the front d-shaft on some of these newer models.

Will work for beer, parts and tools.
    90-350TBI-TCI700-241-33"-10/12 bolt w/4.10's,
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.nashvillek5.freeservers.com>http://www.nashvillek5.freeservers.com</A>

18. 2Dogs

2Dogs 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Good - I am actually getting a quote on a CV dl with the disk emergency brake.
    My shop in Chico works with High Angle in case the Highangle guy is reading - Bent and Twisted.

19. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

ftn96... or anyone... what does that slip yoke eliminator kit take to install? Anyone done it on a 208?

[​IMG]
    1987 Chevy K5 Blazer- 350 TBI