Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

lowering transfer case

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by sunnyc123abc, Jan 7, 2006.

1. sunnyc123abc

sunnyc123abc 1/2 ton status

I want to lower my transfercase a bit to reduce vibration. Iv heard of people putting the spacer between frame and the crossmember. Are there any problems resulting with doing this? thanks

2. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

Is that a maybe it wil cure the vibes? Year/make/model/engine/trans required for recommendations. My '85 Burb came with 1" spacers, (I took them out) so spacers are OK, per se. I'm guessing you have 3/8 bolts. If you crank-it taller spacing, might consider making a block that spans both bolts, and probably 2" max. You could also just barely open the holes to fit 7/16 bolts. 7/16 X 20 (machine thread), grade 8, torque to 64-77 ft. lbs. I'd stay with 1" max with 3/8 bolts, even there use 3/8 X 24, grade 8, torque to 40-48 ft. lbs. As you tilt the trans/T-case down, you gotta watch the distributor and fan clearances.:D

3. fatboy

fatboy 1/2 ton status

I use some 2 x 1/4 square tube about 6 inches long and 7/16 bolts without trouble and it took away the vib I had. Go for it

4. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

There you go, quick and simple. Sharp.:D

5. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

When I first lifted my 89, I stuck the spacers under the crossmember to kill the vibes, worked perfect. Honestly, it doesn't take but a few minutes to do and if you've got vibes now, why not try it. I had NO problems with mine, drove it like that on the street for about 3 years...

KP

6. theperfectgarage

theperfectgarage 1/2 ton status

I dropped mine, It cured the vibes and no probs at all since.

7. mtnman210

mtnman210 1/2 ton status

I dopped mine like 2ins when I first did my lift. after I put in the new trans it's now dropped 3 1/4in if I didn't my drive lines would be horrible. Except I'm pretty maxed out now. My distributor is a pain in the a** to take out because it's almost pinned up against my firewall

8. MNorby

MNorby 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

You will have to watch your front driveline angles with dropping. The farther down you take it the further up you point the front output. Only go as far as you need. Check the angles and try to get the both u-joint on the driveline at the same angle.

9. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

Re; the orig. thread. This assumes the R driveshaft has been checked/balanced?:bow:

10. chvymudin3388

chvymudin3388 1/2 ton status

ok i got two blazers one of themi bought lifted my other is stock my stock one has thiese little spacers after the crossmember inmy lifted the spacers have benn moved up between the crossmember and frame i have no vibes but im soon to get a six inch lift and put my 4 on my other blazer so i hope it dont vibrate still

11. molokai05

molokai05 Registered Member

I just wanted to say that this post helped me out greatly. I put a 4" lift on my 85 K5 and the driveline vibrated a lot. So through searching here I found what I needed. I just used the stock spacers on the bottom of the transfercase crossmember and put them in between the frame and member, test drove and runs like a dream. This is only temporary, I'll be getting some better spacers in place as soon as I find some, probably square tubing. Only took maybe 10 minutes, support with jack, remove bolts, lower slightly to put in spacers and bolts and tighten, that's it. Hope this helps others as well.
    Thanks,
    moli

IMG_0194.JPG

12. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

go to local hardware store. and get some bar stock from the small metal rack thay have for simple job stuff. cut to length of cross member and drill holes. then bolt this inplace of the tubes.

13. Teck

Teck 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Would be every easy to make form stock steel and longer bolts.

Mine was done years ago to help driveline vibration, I think it was a kit rancho made. It is 6 piece of 1/4" to 3/8" thick by 1 1/2" wide by about 6" long, 3 go on each side to lower the transfer case. I used two kits, 5 piece on each side, Never had any problems.

14. bnate

bnate 1/2 ton status

Also take a moment to watch your distributor getting close to the firewall. I had to hammer out more room to be sure the flex didn't crack my distributor cap.

Good luck.

15. Teck

Teck 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I did have a 3" body lift with that, which did give more clearance.