Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Lowering Transfer Case

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by TC70C10, Jan 11, 2007.

1. TC70C10

TC70C10 Registered Member

I have a 4 inch suspension lift. I used the factory sleeves to lower the transfer case. They were probably about 1/2 to 3/4 inches long. Anyone know how much lower I can drop the transfer case.

I'm interested in reducing the angle of inclination on my GM front driveshaft.

Thanks,
    Tim

2. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

first please reinstall those spacers back the way thay came stock. doing what you did puts extream pressure in that spot of the frame rail. pics have been posted in hear of the damage when it goes bad.

second the more you drop the tcase mount the more angle it puts in the cv head. so you will actualy make it worse. 4" kit dosnt realy need a tcase drop. unless you have 4 speed combo as its the shortest one of all.

3. FOR MUD

FOR MUD 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Heres how not to do it.And remember kids don't try this at home.:D

[​IMG]

4. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

How about "take the spacers out". I have 4" lift and no spacers, I'm still thinking about clocking the case.:haha:

5. TC70C10

The Rough Country installation instructions say to use the spacers. I don't understand how going back stock wouldn't increase the inclination angle. Higher transfer case should increase the shaft angle. I trimmed off about 1/8 inch from the stops per their instructions.

Tim

6. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

simple look at your drive line. the tcase drops but the motor stays. so when you droped the tcase you started to swing a arc. the more you drop it the more the front shaft tilts up. heck i had 6" lift with only slight grind under hard gas pedel. and i had all greasable bushings and hd longer shacles. man that would flex.

7. fatbob

fatbob 1/2 ton status

Think about how you are not really lowering the whole T/C, but tilting it. The back part goes down, but the front part is still hooked to the tranny, so the front driveshaft gets a worse angle.

8. TC70C10

Thanks everyone. I have another post about a thumping sound in my front end in 4wd. Looking for a smoking gun.

So the lowering is really to reduce the rear drive shaft angle

9. txfiremank5

txfiremank5 1/2 ton status

Sometimes 1" is enough to make the dist. cap contact the firewall too. As the t-case goes down in back, so does the back of the engine. I'd be afraid that getting flexed up might be enough to crack the cap and leave you with a sputtering engine.