Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Lowes or Home Depot??

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by bablazer73, Jun 19, 2005.

?

lowes or depot

Poll closed Jul 9, 2005.
  1. lowes

47.7%
  2. Home depot

52.3%
  1. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

which do you prefer. I hate both, but The wife and I are buying(maybe) a "project" house. lowes offers a discount on total "projects" if all the stuff is bought their. The kithen in this place is totally useless and needs to be replaced before anybody could live there.

2. baldamish

baldamish 1/2 ton status

I refuse to shop at lowes, i'm in the army and when we got deployed some of our troops worked at lowes, and they were treated like sh*t!! A few even lost thier jobs. Home Depot has special programs for deployed soldier's families, if something breaks, you pay for the parts and they will install or repair for free labor! The home depot near my unit has donated building materials to us several times! I prefer to give my money to a company that is giving back and not treating our soldiers like crap! Just my 2 cents.

3. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Home Depot because Jimmy Johnson is a putz and Tony Stewart rocks......... :D

Seriously though, there's neither around here, though my fence was bought at a Home Depot. It really doesn't matter to me.

4. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

I prefer Lowe's, and not just because I work there... The two local Home Despot stores have nearly zero staff, and the few that are in the store (if you can find them) don't know the difference between a pipe wrench and a kitchen cabinet.

baldamish, I don't know where the Lowe's is that you had problems with, but the employees that had issues with mobilizations need to contact corporate HQ about it. Discriminating against military folks is totally against the corporate policy, and that store manager could be sh*tcanned for that (and if your story is accurate, he/she SHOULD get the boot).

5. spearchucker

spearchucker 1/2 ton status

Lowe's because they're 2 blocks from me. But there are 3 Home Depot's 10 mins from me, 1 south and 2 north. One of them stays open until 1 am. I've been there at 12:30 and suprisingly there were a lot of people in there.

6. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

either or...

I used to go to Home Depot in the next town about 10 minites away(unless traffic is heavy,then its 20-30 minites!)..but there is a new Lowe's Home center now less than a mile away right on the highway in front of my house--havent purchased anything there yet,but I did go scope out the place--I find Home Depot has a larger selection of things like pipe and conduit,but Lowe's has far more bolts and specialty items like keyway stock and other hardware related stuff--but the prices are insane--they wanted 6 bucks for one 5/8 grade 8 bolt about 4" long!..I can buy 3 of them at tractor supply for that,maybe 4!....but if I'm in a hurry,they ARE closer....and gas is expensive,tractor supply is 15 miles away..

I dont really prefer one place over another--I'm usually buying something at a certain place for the price,not the store's name--most of the stuff is china crap no matter where you buy it now...and as for how they treat their workers--most all retail jobs here are about the same--low pay,high workload,lots of stress,little or no benifits,mostly part time work only,and high rate of turnover...and usually a boss who makes life miserable!..no mater what the name on the store is... :crazy:

7. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

I'ts like auto parts stores, locally I find that Lowes has much more knowledgeable employees so that's where I shop most of the time. I have lived in places that were just the opposite.

8. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

Home Depot.......because that is all we have in town. :D Before we had a local HD, I bought almost everything for my new roof from the nearest Lowes, which is 40 mins away.

9. 3 on the tree

3 on the tree 1/2 ton status

I have shopped at both and their levels of competence (or incompetence) are the same. I'll pay the extra and go to a real lumber yard where the employees know what they are talking about and have the time to help.

10. mxfireman

mxfireman 1/2 ton status

I only have Home Depot out here. :(

11. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

Home Depot is about a 3 minute drive. Lowe's has some items HD does not. Just depends on what I need. The bad thing about HD is the long friggin checkout lines, I'm not a patient man in the checkout lane or shopping for that matter. I'm organized when I go in, I get my junk, then I want out the door in 5 minutes. Our local store usually has one lane open, maybe three on busy days. It's been undestaffed every time I've shopped there. I'd say "3 on the tree" was correct about the level of knowledge most HD employees have, there are very few with a good answer. Your better off knowing what you need beforehand.

Some of the best stores around here besides HD are the locals. Ace Hardware, Budget Home Center, McGuckins Hardware. McGuckins is in Boulder about 20 miles SW but they have plenty of knowledgable employees and short checkout lines.

I'd rate HD about a 8 out of 10 on the asspainometer. You'll feel the chafe.

12. Eric M.

Eric M. 1/2 ton status

Neither. Hire a licensed general contractor and do the job right :p:

Anyone wanna guess what I do for a living!? :D

Eric M.

13. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

Nearest Home Depot is 3.5 hours away and I have never seen a Lowes so I pretty much have nothing to add to this discusion :D

14. LKJR

LKJR 1/2 ton status

we have both here and both back home. Home Depot by a landslide. Employee's are better, they are a better company to work for overall, people seem more knowledgeable, and they didn't screw my ol man over when he worked there back in the day.

15. Stickseler

Stickseler 3/4 ton status

Exactly :grin:

16. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

When Lowe's first offered me a position, it was in electrical. I don't know enough about home electrical stuff to work that department IMO, so I declined the position. LOTS of people today would've jumped for that position just to have a job, even though they'd suck at it, and not be able to help customers. Lucky for me they then offered a position selling tools in the Tool World, which I do happen to know a bit about. :D BTW, the guy who took the electrical position I was originally offered? He's still learning that volts, amps, and watts are different...

17. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

I like Lowe's because they seem to have more stuff. Lowe's had a wider selection of tile, and more plumbing parts, especially the funky water closet flange adapter I needed to hide my poor planning :blush: .

However, Home Depot is 10 minutes from me, and Lowe's is 40-50 minutes from me. The only times I get to hit Lowe's is when I'm working at our east-end site or out visiting family or friends near it, so pretty rarely when I know what I need...

18. gambit420s

gambit420s 1/2 ton status

you might not even pay extra by the time you end your project, you might be able to arrange a similar deal with a local yard. smaller businesses have very little to offer over big boxes, except service, and integrity. Most will work with you to ensure that they dont lose another sale to these giants.
    big box stores like these and others(sprawl-mart, and etc) are very quickly removing your income from your community, buy from local people, whos owners are still living in the area, it might not seem like much but for every dollar you spend at big boxes is that much more that is removed from your community. the ability to converse with the owner of any supplier you purchase from is invaluable. if you have a problem, knowing where the buck stops will most likely allow you to ensure your satisfaction.
    This is not to say that every local yard operates with respect and honesty, there are crooks everywhere, but those that do operate with good business practices will suprise you with their ability to match or exceed the experience you will have with a box store.
    For instance; high on a hilltop on the nc/sc border, inside a gated community, that you(or any other common person) cannot enter, one of the founders of home depot, built an $18,000,000 house. Did he buy materials from his own store? No, because as i'm sure he knows good things dont come from boxes, What did he buy? Quality products from reputable people...

make your own choice but think about how your hard-earned money is being reinvested...

just my $0.02

19. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

I'm a Harbor Frieght guy myself... but when I want to go to a warehouse to buy, I usually go to Home Depot. There is one near my pad and one near the park'n'ride that I take to work so its relatively convenient. Both Lowes/HD charge too much and both have a good # of idiots working for them. They are sorta like the 4wpw of the home improvement world.

Its good to hear that HD 'supports the troops', thats always a good thing.

j

20. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

I have found that my local small electrical/plumbing supply place has better prices than HD or Lowes and they have a good selection of stuff too. I thought HD would be cheaper, so I bought my welder outlet and some other stuff to set it up there... later I went to Grovers (local guys) and the exact same stuff, brand and everything, was cheaper. Hardware is a LOT cheaper at my local hardware supplier than it is at HD too. I think this is true for a lot of stuff they carry... some stuff may be inexpensive there, but some stuff is way overpriced too (maybe to compensate for the cheapo stuff, I dunno). Anyway, since the welder install, I have been a bit better of a shopper... I don't just go to the warehouse assuming it will be cheaper.

We hear this arguement all the time, but I have serious questions about its relevance. In my case, the $ thats in my pay check "came" from 2000 miles away... it didn't spawn from Vancouver, Washington or anything. I earned it and looking at the world the way you do, I "took" it from some far off community and negatively affected their financial well-being. IMO $ is moving at such a rapid rate and is so fluid that trying to guide where its going to 'end up' is completely hopeless. I mean, you go to spend it locally... local business guy takes it to the bank and WHOOOSH it instantly flies off to wall street. Thats what bankers do with $, invest it and give us a tiny return in the form of interest. How much good did spending the $ locally really do? I guess it helps the owner of the individual store, but buying at the nationwide chain helps people too (store manager, employees, the rest of the community via taxes and charitable donations etc etc) People seem to have this impression that Walmart and (insert other big worldwide store here) has a giant vault filled with bazillions of dollars which was taken from small towns sucked dry by their evil practices. In reality, $ that comes in is reinvested... in the martket, in upgrades, in new stores etc etc. In short, it quickly moves on and helps other people... many of which are in these smaller communities. Is the local community destroyed by this? not at all.

j