Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

1. fr8train

fr8train 1/2 ton status

Anyone running an LP setup on their rig? I went thru an 4X4 mag and saw a guy from Canada running a Blazer with LP. He had a double frame setup. His club is(was) Rocky Mountain Big Wheelers.

"Lord have mercy on my next thirty years"

2. Gopherkiller

Gopherkiller 1/2 ton status

Where would you put the tank, inside? Not me!

3. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Well this is obviously more popular up here. Propane converted vehicles, especially 4x4's are easy to find here. They a few different systems, but in general there is straight propane and dual fuel.
    Advantages: Burns very clean. 5000 miles on the oil and it looks like new oil. Its cheap, about half the price of gas.
    Dis-advantages: 10-20% power loss, although if your engine is specifically built for propane this can be overcome. 10-20% loss in fuel economy, but its cheap.
    Filling stations, can you re-fill your tanks in the good ol' USA? There are plenty of filling stations for propane up here. Also propane runs hot, so hardened valve seats are a must. Not as much of an issue as it once was.
    Most systems remove the existing fuel tank and replace it with one or two propane tanks. As far as this being a safety issue in an accident, I haven't heard any horror stories in the 15 years or so that the conversions have been around. For a truck that sees a lot of rocks I would build some good skids for the tanks (Duh!).
    The conversions are still being done, fuel injected vehicles too. They also convert to Natural gas, but the range is poor and the tanks are slow to fill.
    And what if you run out of propane? They have an adaptor so you can hook up a propane tank from a barbeque. This is handy if your Pick-up/camper runs on propane.

Rene

[​IMG]

4. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

Go to the Pirate Board http://www.pirate4x4.com

Lance, the owner or administrator, of the site is running a LP powered Land Cruiser with a 350 Chevy! He knows alot about this set-up and there are a few others on there with the set-up also!

Mike [​IMG]
    See <font color=green>EMMETT</font color=green> -&gt; http://emmett.coloradok5.com