Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

LQ9 swap (w/ CA smog)

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 | Suburban | Truck' started by 87blackblazer, Feb 1, 2013.

1. 87blackblazer

87blackblazer Registered Member

After some very helpful replies in a separate thread, I've decided to focus on the engine/trans at this point and work on the other stuff later. Pretty sure I want a 6.0L swap, but it has to pass CA smog. It seems that the LQ9/4L80E may be the best option b/c that combo came in a light duty truck (Silverado SS). Did the LQ4 come in any 1500 series trucks (not HD)? This is a requirement for the swap.

Anybody have any suggestions for shops to do the swap (I'd love to do it myself, but I'm in Japan and need the job completed by my return in July)?

2. K85 Octane

K85 Octane Tacklin' Fuel Premium Member GMOTM Winner

location in CA?

and you'll need a smog referee to go over the truck before he gives you a new smog sticker and makes it legal. With the swap, you need to retain all the new smog equipment from the engine and whatever came in the truck originally (aka: the same CAT found on the newer truck, smog pump, manifolds, egr, all that good stuff)

3. supermotard750

supermotard750 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

The LQ9 came in the SS , the HD pick ups , escalade,and a few other high end suv's the. The LQ4 lower compression less HP 6.0 came in the non HD pickups and tahoe's

4. 87blackblazer

San Diego

My understanding is that the LQ9 did not come in HD pickups - only SUVs and HO pickups. On the other hand, the LQ4 only came in SUVs and HD pickups - not LD pickups. To pass the referee inspection, the donor vehicle has to be LD.

Here's what I believe to be the applications of each engine, please tell me if I'm wrong (or interpreting it incorrectly):

LQ4
    Chevrolet Express/GMC Savana
    Chevrolet Silverado 2500 Pickup, 3500 Pickup, Crew Cab, and Chassis Cab/GMC Sierra 2500 HD Pickup and Crew Cab, C3, Denali, and 3500 Pickup and Chassis Cab, 1500HD Crew Cab
    Chevrolet Suburban/GMC Yukon XL Denali
    Hummer H2 SUT
    GMC Yukon Denali

LQ9
    2002-2006 Cadillac Escalade
    2002-2006 Cadillac Escalade EXT
    2003-2006 Cadillac Escalade ESV
    2003-2007 Chevrolet Silverado SS
    2004-2005 Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra Vortec HO Edition Only
    2006-2007 Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra VortecMAX Option

5. buefchris

buefchris 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Whats a LD? You can put any of those engines in so long as they pass the ref inspection and smog.

6. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

The referee DOES NOT allow the use of heavy duty engines in light duty trucks.

7. buefchris

All of these engines mentioned above are exhaust controlled. What they are saying is you can't put a carbed 572 or a detroit671 in a smoged controlled vehicle.
    \If he has a commercial reg on that K-5 in the eyes of the state, thats a pick-up.
    I've been down this road a few times and as long as you understand the rules,you'll never have a problem.
    Plus, when you start dealing with these "refs" ,you'll realize your not working with a mind thats capable of spliting the atom.:whistle:

8. drew4x4

drew4x4 1/2 ton status Premium Member

my understanding - not from california, never been, never will - is that you ain't allowed to put a larger engine then the vehicle came from with factory, because the larger engine increases the smog... unless your blazer came from the factory with a 400sbc (which would be 6.6 liters) there is no way you could put a 6.0 in it and pass emissions. EVEN if a 2002 lq4 or lq9 produces MUCH less emissions then an 87 350sbc.

9. buefchris

I've installed 350's in trucks that have had 305 with no troubles.
    The cubic inch difference that this guys' dealing with is a non issue.

10. 4X4HIGH

11. K85 Octane

Wait, in another thread the OP mentions this truck will be built here and then shipped to another state.

What are the laws in the other state? Don't build it to CA standards, that's stupid:whistle::haha: (says the guy from CA)

12. 4X4HIGH

Better recheck his post. :deal:

13. K85 Octane

I dunno

14. 87blackblazer

The truck is currently in San Diego (and registered there as my wife's truck). I am moving to Charlottesville, VA for 10 months. Since I'm in the military and a resident of WV, I could register the K5 in CA, VA, or WV. However, I will likely retire to CA in a few years and don't want to rebuild to CA requirements then.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2013
  15. 87blackblazer

I agree this is the state of the law. However, what is defined as a "heavy duty" truck? Is it defined according to the manufacturer such that everything up to and including a GM 3500 is considered light duty (4500 is considered by GM to be medium duty)? Or is it defined by the state?

If it's defined by the state, is the K5 defined as a "light duty truck"? If so, where does the "light duty truck" classification stop? 1500? 2500? HD classification?

For example, the L92/6L80E came in a 2009 Silverado 1500. Can that go in an '87 K5?

Here are some bullets from the CA Bureau of Automotive Repair website:

Classification
    Don't mix engine and vehicle classifications which will degrade the emissions certification standards. For example, a heavy–duty engine cannot be installed in a light–duty exhaust–controlled chassis even if they have the same displacement. Non–emissions controlled power plants such as industrial or off–road–use–only engines may not be placed in any exhaust–controlled vehicle.

Computer Controls
    If a computer–controlled engine is installed in a non–computerized vehicle, the "CHECK ENGINE" light, the Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) diagnostic link, and all sensors, switches, and wiring harnesses needed to make the system fully functional must also be installed.

Emission Control Configuration
    Mixing and matching emission control system components could cause problems and is generally not allowed. Engine and emission control systems must be in an engine–chassis configuration certified by the California Air Resources Board (ARB) or U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA). The engine must meet or exceed the requirements for the year and class of vehicle in which it is installed.

Engine Modifications
    No internal or external engine modifications (cams, pistons, intakes, etc.) may be performed unless the parts are ARB–exempted or EPA–certified for use in the installed engine.

Original Equipment
    The installed engine and host chassis must retain all of their original emission control equipment. Diesel–to–gasoline conversions must have all gasoline engine and chassis emission control systems installed (such as fillpipe restrictor, catalytic converter and evaporative emission system).

16. buefchris

\
    Not that it matters much but, how is yours registered?
    Remember that these also came with a 379 cubic inch diesel,the same size engine that came in a 1 ton truck.

17. 87blackblazer

Not registered as commercial.

18. 87blackblazer

L9h/6l80e/mp3023

Alright, I think I'm getting close to a decision. Looks like I'm going to swing for the fences and drop in a 6.2L L9H out of a 2011 Silverado 1500, and the 6L80E from the same truck.

My question is about transfer cases. The drive train I'm buying comes with the MP3023. Is there any way to use that in the swap? Truthfully, I'd rather have a manual t-case. Any suggestions?

19. drew4x4

drew4x4 1/2 ton status Premium Member

you won't be able to use that transfer case. That'll be a driver side drop, while your solid front axle will be a passenger side drop.

Advanced adapters makes an adapter that will allow you to bolt your 6l80e up to an NP205, which is the strongest transfer case, passenger side drop, that came in these trucks.
    Thats what I'm using to bolt an NP205 up to a 4l60e.

20. Mkuhn138

Mkuhn138 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Put the GMPP Erod LS3 in. That's what I would've done if money wasn't an object. :). The whole package is CARB certified