Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

LQ9 Truck engine??

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by tiger9297, Jun 30, 2006.

1. tiger9297

tiger9297 1/2 ton status

What do you think about this GMPP engine. I have figured the build costs of a 383 w/ a Howell MPFI system and it seems like I could buy this engine for less. Is this a good deal and would it be a good engine. It will go in a '90 K5 used for street driving, mild offroad, and towing a camper, boat, etc.

2nd engine on the page.
    http://www.gmpartsdirect.com/results.cfm?perfPackages=1&curpage=2&startrow=6&pkgid=22

2. Jishory

Jishory 1/2 ton status

you sure could build a sick 383 for the cost of an lq9. i looked at them before and no way i could afford them but would make a great off road engine. light and powerful, much cooler with the escalade cowling too

3. tiger9297

tiger9297 1/2 ton status

well my problem is this: I don't want to go w/ a carb. So, I have the option of going back w/ the TBI which I don't really want to do or I can get the Howell MPFI system for $1200. By the time I buy everything else including Vortec heads I have the cost to build a 383 right at $3800. Now, I have never done this before so I could be missing something, but I don't think so. Basically, it would be the same cost as the TQ9.

4. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

One thing you may not be taking into account is you will need the computer and harness for the LQ9 also. How much do those things run?:dunno: Oh I am looking at putting one in my 87 also:D

Ira

5. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

6.0L 's rock. i'm very happy with the 6.0 in my k5. :thumb: i even put one in my tow rig.

Its not a drop it in and bolt in deal. requires fitting and some adapter mounts. the engine is more set back even the heads, it is wider, frame and firewall need to be massaged, and the oil pan hangs lower.

:whistle:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. tiger9297

tiger9297 1/2 ton status

I didnt' know all of that. I just ran across that engine last night. My K5 is a "show" truck as some on this site call them. It's a really nice truck in perfect condition and I don't wheel it. I don't think I'm interested in "massaging" my frame and firewall. However, I notice you have a 1st gen. Would you still have to do this to a 2nd gen? I need nice neat bolt in stuff. :D Does look like a sweet engine though and the price seems to be low compared to other crate engines.

7. MattK

MattK 1/2 ton status

most likely to some extent, yes. it is not a bolt in deal as the 6.0 is a genIII small block...built for the 99+pickups.

anything is possible though. this just requires considerable custom work, and i dont think i'd wanna handle the wiring either! :haha:

btw Ryan...how was the wiring?

8. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I've swapped these 6.0L into my first gen '72 k5 and my second gen k30 flatbed.

The first engine swap i had it reworked by current performance, it was a throttle cable engine.
    The next couple of harness a 6.0L and 8.1L I have reworked myself and kept the drive by wire, it has taken me and my friend kevin probably a hundred hours between the first couple harnesses to research and rework them and trace wires on the schematic, figure out whats going on and actually get the engine running. Now i have it down but it still takes a few evenings to sort out the harness and make it plug and play. Theres a LOT of wires with the factory harness as you can see in that picture. :crazy:

9. slyguy_22

slyguy_22 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Well hear is my 2 cents. I have an 89 k5 that i put in a 76 400 sb that is bored 30 over. i used my heads and intake and tbi from my 89 and that thing runs great! (other than the flywheel i need to replace) it has tons of torque for towing and great hp/trottle response. 14mpg highway with 36" super swampers and 8"s of lift. very easy bolt in swap. wiring and brackets all work together. plus those motors are farely cheap and easy to come by.
    Just my 2 cents but i think it is a great buget motor. our local shop sells them for under a grand.:waytogo:

10. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

My opinion is this... try and build a Gen I smallblock with a fuel injection system that is nearly as good or the same power potential as a Gen III for what it costs to make it. You will spend a lot more on a Gen I to get close to what a Gen III is stock... True multiport injection with the tuning potential and diagnostic capabilities.

11. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

Gotta love the flashable prom in the new motors:D not to mention the cool factor:D .

Ira

12. tiger9297

tiger9297 1/2 ton status

That would be waaaaaaay over my head. If I tried that my truck would never run again:doah: . I better stick with the older stuff.