Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

LS Motor Tuning

Discussion in 'The Injection Section' started by mrdrinksalil, Sep 24, 2010.

1. mrdrinksalil

mrdrinksalil 1/2 ton status

Someone wanna put on a school? Where's the best place to find info on LS motor tuning and modifying computers to run older transmissions ect.? I was looking at the cost of software and it seem quite expensive.

2. Kjunky5

Kjunky5 1/2 ton status

3. eagle mark

eagle mark 1/2 ton status

I always look to Moates first as they live what they do and are excellent with tech support!

4. dave w

dave w 1/2 ton status

I'm starting to get my feet wet with the LS PCM project. I'm working on converting an old school SBC to sequential EFI. The software is expensive!:eek1: I'm leaning toward EFI Live software. EFI Live offers a demo version.

http://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?892-demo-version

dave w

[​IMG]

5. eagle mark

You sir are having to much fun!!!

So what is so specail about the LS PCM that would make you, who is happy with the 427 ecm do an expensive project?

6. dave w

dave w 1/2 ton status

The '427 is an excellent PCM, which can control either the 4L80E / 4L60E and with some internal mods run port fuel injection in batch fire.

The '0411 LS VCM does everything a '427 PCM is capable of, but can be mounted under hood and is sequential port fuel injection.

The LS is very quickly becoming the next "replacement" engine of choice for the old school SBC. Quite often a vehicle project builder will decide to go with a good low mileage LS, instead of a "crate SBC". The LS has a real performance advantage over the old school SBC, and the LS has an underhood "cool factor" than many vehicle project builders are looking for.

It might not come as a surprise to the members of the injection section, but I support my auto hobby addiction the old school way of "buy / sell / trade" of auto parts / services. I figured I'd better get with the LS learning, or my source of funding my toy's will be less and less.

dave w

7. eagle mark

Doesn't the 427 come as an under hood version? I worked on a freinds 4.3L Vortec that had one and I thought it was a 427, have to look harder next time...

8. dave w

dave w 1/2 ton status

So here is an update on my LS ~ '0411 VCM progress. The list of things done is longer than the list of things to do.:smile1:

dave w

DSCN3070.JPG

DSCN3075.JPG

DSCN3077.JPG

DSCN3074.JPG

9. mrdrinksalil

mrdrinksalil 1/2 ton status

Cool. I for sure wont be replacing my engine with another Gen1 if it ever fails. Factory HP and reliability of an LS motor is just too good to pass up.

I hate that I have so much time into my current engine and it's still no "waaaapow" motor.

I would really like one now but am gonna fix my more power fix with a doubler build asap. Still have more tuning on my TBI to do though.

10. Big Ray

Big Ray 3/4 ton status Premium Member

Hey Dave, keep up the post's!!

I'm learning more every time you do. Next spring, I'll be 500$ a month richer, so I'm planning on efi'ing that Vortec with the Edelbrock 3505 multiport I've been sitting on since my divorce......I can't wait. I'm already drooling....Thanks for all you do. :thumb::bow:

[​IMG]

motor

[​IMG]

11. dave w

dave w 1/2 ton status

So I posted this information elsewhere, but this tread also needs updating. I have the LS Computer test bench working. I have the crank position sensor and cam position sensor "In Sync". I made my own crank position trigger wheel using my CAD skills, and the help of a Water Jet. The steel is 5/16" thick. I needed to put the trigger wheel in the Lathe to get things round. The Water Jet was out-of-round by about 0.016"

dave w

DSCN3105.JPG

DSCN3104.JPG

Cad Drawing Reluctor Wheel.JPG

Cad Drawing Reluctor Wheel 01.JPG

Water Jet 03.JPG

12. Kjunky5

Kjunky5 1/2 ton status

How did you get them "in sync"? I looks like the crank trigger is attached to the distributor. Won't the PCM look for the crank to be spinning at twice the speed of the cam? :dunno:

13. dave w

dave w 1/2 ton status

Yes, the PCM is looking for the crank to be spinning at twice the speed of the cam. The pic below is the OEM crank trigger wheel (4 triggers). My solution for the test bench, was to have 8 triggers so I could "trick" the PCM to seeing twice the speed of the cam. With the 8 trigger wheel mounted to the distributor, the PCM will see 8 triggers for one distributor revolution.

dave w

DSCN3087.JPG

14. Kjunky5

Kjunky5 1/2 ton status

Ahh.....Nice.. :waytogo:

15. 1979jimmy350

1979jimmy350 1/2 ton status Premium Member

As far as software i Used HP tuners on my LS conversion, I find it easier to use than EFI live, The only advantage at this time i see with EFI is the ability for multiple tunes on the Dmaxs, HP tuners will tune a larger amount of PCM's. To me this was important because i have tuned lots of non V8 cars.

16. dave w

dave w 1/2 ton status

I have not used HP Tuners. I'm sure HP Tuners is an excellent product. One factor that tipped me to EFI Live was the ability to download a free trial version of EFI Live off of the EFI Live website. With the EFI Live trial version, I could teach myself how to navigate the software. Cost was not a major factor in my choice of EFI Live, but I will admit EFI Live is more expensive than HP Tuners. I was able to find a used EFI Live V2 system on Ebay that provided some cost savings.

dave w

17. Dent Master

Dent Master Registered Member

I put a 6.0 in my 72 k5 blazer. I spent the money and let pacific fabrication build my harness and ECM.....together was $1000.........the harness is awesome!!. I run a turbo 400 and I am VERY pleased with the outcome. If you are do a LS conversion...let the professionals do there part to make your ride perform well!....Just my 2 cents...good luck

18. dave w

dave w 1/2 ton status

Dent Master, I agree some LS conversions owners require some professional assistance.

I consider myself a professional. I have a very broad range of skill sets in both mechanical and electronic career fields. My skill sets include time as Military Radar Technician, ASE Certified dealership service technician, and my current occupation as a Research and Design Engineering Technician for a major consumer electronics corporation.

Quite literally, I've been doing "Car Stuff" for decades. I push myself not to need to rely on "Luck". I spend my time, my energy, and my money to become successful when I set out to do a project. Personally, I feel that "Other Professionals" really aren't any smarter than me. I stick with the firm belief that "Other Professionals" only know something I don't know yet!:doah: What's the point in paying someone to do something you can learn to do for yourself? That's just my .02 cents.

dave w

19. eagle mark

Some people just don't have the skills and knowledge needed to do this. They are to busy making money elsewhere so they pay to have it done. I am on the other hand with Dave and if it pushs my abilities a little further than I go for it. there's always room to learn more and improve.

20. Kjunky5

Kjunky5 1/2 ton status

Unfortunately I'm too poor to pay someone else to do it so I had to learn how to do things myself. Which I'm sure alot of people on here can relate too. :doah: