Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

LS1 aluminum V8 in my blazer?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BranndonC, Oct 17, 2002.

1. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

i posted this in the garage and didn't get too much help there. actually one 1 resopoce.
    for like 3 grand i can get a VERY low milage LS1 . I can get the engine, transmission (possible to work with 4x4?) and copmuter out of a new camaro. let me know guys

2. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

yes, but you should get that tranny fixed first /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

3. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

that's the issue... i called my brither and he can get the LS1 engine (310 HP) and the tranny that comes with it and the computer for the engine all for like $3000 and i wanted to know if i could make that tranny work with a 4x4 ? by the way zakk, i look forward to meeting you at pismo /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

Probably didn't get a lot of responses because I'm guessing not a whole lot of people know about the swap. It will work in your 4x4 as long as it bolts up to the tranny. Chevy's are good about that (bellhousing bolt pattern) but I'm not sure about the LS1. Also, motor mounts and fitment of exhaust are the other issues. It would be awesome if you could do that. Not only the reduced weight of the aluminum block, but also the fact that you could say, "I have an LS1 in my Chevy, what's in your furd?"
    Sorry this wasn't very helpful, but like I said, I can't imagine you're going to get a whole lot of swap-specific info for this.

5. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

The tranny that came with the car would not work as is. You'd have to know what kind it is, and then you'd need the proper tail-shaft, connection to hook up with your transfer case. Doesn't mean it's not possible though.

6. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

thanks man, i would like the line about the furd though...
    i just don't know enough about trucks to know if the engine will work in my truck.

7. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

right.

i think that is a 4L80E tranny if it came out of a LS1

It is a 2WD so you would have to divorce the t-case, or have a tailshaft custom made.

Your rig is a 89, so it is a late-model block, just like the LS1. i *THINK* that there is a computer that allows the LS1 to be used with the 700R, IIRC. There are a few Heep guys running around with that engine, and if Heep guys can figure it out, you can /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Try check out your summit catalog, or call Art Carr or TCI.

8. DukeBoy88

DukeBoy88 1/2 ton status

Cool idea, I actually was looking to put a LS1 in my 68 firebird. Painless Wiring has a tranplant harness that eliminates the passkey, the 2nd set of O2 sensors, and a couple other things you don't need. If you're good with programing you can flash the computer to suit your needs if not I highly recomend Ed Wright's programing, He did mine and it runs great. I assume you grabbed the automatic, I don't know what needs changed to mate to a transfer. If you grabbed the 6-speed I don't know either how that would hook up but I wanna see it when you're done.

9. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

The tranny would be a 4L60E. It may bolt up to a transfer case if you remove the tailshaft thingy, the new ones we get at work in the crates are like that. The techs just unbolt the tailhousing thing and bolt in the transfer case. O yeah, there is a guy at the place I work and he does almost all auto trans work, I bet you could talk to him and have him to the trans work. He is fast too. PM me if you want to know how to reach him.

10. Gary 86 K5

Gary 86 K5 1/2 ton status

the 4l60e should bolt right up to your transfer case, the 4l60e is just an electronic 700r4

11. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

Right, but since the car is a two wheel drive, there is a yoke coming right off of the tranny. He would need to swap on a tailshaft from a 4l60e that is in a 4x4. Then he'd be able to attach it to his transfer case. That was the issue.

12. jmd

jmd Registered Member

the transmission is a 4L60-E and last time I checked on the earlier 700R4s, the output shaft was different on one destined for a transfer case application, so I don't believe you can just pull the tailhousing & slap on a transfer case. I don't see any reason you couldn't use a 4L60-E from a newer 4x4 truck, though. The reason the earlier trannies don't work on an LS1 is that the crank flange is a different distance from the bellhousing mating surface than a Gen I or II SBC.

As far as wiring, stick w/ the OEM harness stuff, trim out the unnecessary wiring from the harness (late model f-bodies have all the front end harness & ECM harness together.) Painless does not care if your engine runs as intended, they just care that A - they sold you a harness and B - you're not on the phone because of service engine light. If you want it to run right, do what is necessary for it to have the same wiring, sensors, etc. that are in the vehicle it came out of.

I'm going to use this smilie because I like it /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

Matthew

13. transcore1

transcore1 Registered Member

What year is the LS1? The trans is a 4l60e or possibly the ultra-NEW 4l65e. Not many people have even heard of it. It uses a deeper bellhousing (Removable) and a deeper torque converter. The easisest way to ID it is by a small protrusion at the top of the bell. It also has a deeper pan with a drain plug. Inside it has some cool stuff and is super beefy compared to early 700s. The bad news is you will have to use a late,late,late (98 up) t-case. These late model trannys with the removable bells have a six bolt tailhousing and early 700s have 4. The bolt pattern on the adapter housing is totally different. The output shafts for 4X4 trucks are all basically interchangable between 700/4l60/4l65. The trans has to be disassembled to change the shaft, It is the first thing you stack back in when building a trans.
    I JUST DO TRANNYS www.transcore.net Check out our blazer project in "About Us"

14. bigblock454

bigblock454 Clack Clack Clack Premium Member

The LS1 has the standard bell housing as the old 350s. I am guessing that the tranny you have is a 2wd 4L60E. The 4L80E were only in 3/4 ton trucks. You have basically two options:

1. Use your old tranny (700R4 I am guessing) and have the 4L60E programming removed from the LS1 computer.

2. Or, trade the 2wd tranny for a 4x4 4L60E one of the correct year. To use the 2wd version you would have to take it apart and change the output shaft.

For $3000 I think there are much better ways to spend the money. A LS1 motor has tons of sensors and a million things to go wrong. You could build a 350 put FI on it and have a good combo that is easy to work on with great power.

15. Gary 86 K5

Gary 86 K5 1/2 ton status

i agree, for $3000 you could do alot better, i find LT1s with trannys for $1500 all the time, that would be a more cost effective way to do what you want /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

16. JoseK5

JoseK5 Registered Member

I heard that the ignition set-up is different as far as spark distribution works.it seems that the ignition or the ignition trigger is not on top but below, and is prone to damage in water and in mud places. Just make sure...