Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

LS1 conversion ?'s

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by blazd88, Oct 4, 2004.

1. blazd88

blazd88 1/2 ton status

LS1 conversion ?\'s

Any of you out there done this yet? I saw an article awhile back in a mag but just wanted to get an idea of the amount of work envolved. I bought a LS1 and 4l80e w/ tranfer case and computer to run it all out of a 03 z-71 with low miles(cant remember the number) /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif. How well do they run in a blazer.
    thanx

2. CyberSniper

CyberSniper 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Re: LS1 conversion ?\'s

When did they start putting LS1s in trucks?

3. BAJA_BLAZER

BAJA_BLAZER 1/2 ton status Author

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

They didn't.

4. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Was it the article with the Black Blazer with the ORD bumper . I read that article too . They notched the engine crossmember ( and plated it for stregnth ) so the engine and drivetrain could sit right , and to provide accessory clearance /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

5. CyberSniper

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

They didn't.

[/ QUOTE ]

Read what he said.

I was being a smartass.

6. blazd88

blazd88 1/2 ton status

its still an LS1 its just not an aluminium block. /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

7. CyberSniper

LS1 = 3.897" bore and 3.620" stroke.

[(3.897/2)^2*3.14159]*(3.62)*8 = 345.42 in^3

So, what is this illustrious LS1 you've got have for specifications?

8. pauly383

[ QUOTE ]
    its still an LS1 its just not an aluminium block

[/ QUOTE ]

LS1 STYLE motor , not actually an LS1 /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

9. blazd88

blazd88 1/2 ton status

good grief i ask a simple question and all i get is aguements. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif no its not exactly an LS1 but there is enough in common that its just as easy to ask using the letters LS1. so back to my question HAS ANYONE PUT ONE OF THESE ENGINES IN THEIR BLAZER?! thanx anyhow

10. pauly383

I was just reiterating . Relax . Like I said it was in a recent backissue of one of the regular mags . Black Blazer with ORD front bumper . They put that physical size motor in a Blazer , and to keep the trans and case in the right spot , as well as to clear the accessories and I think the crank pulley , they NOTCHED the engine crossmember . I will try to dig up the article , or you can search the websites of the TWO most popular mags formerly owned by Petersons /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

11. pauly383

I dug up both parts of the article , they were in Petersons June 04 page 72 , and July 04 page 112 . If you do not have these anymore I can scan them sometime and mail them to you .

The gist of it is , the motor mount holes on new motor are 4 inches rearward , you need Advance Adapter p/n 713088-p to go between your stock mounts and the engine . This is option 1 .

The other way , option 2 , which they did ( I did not remember it seems ) to make room for exhaust manifolds , was to cut the frame mounts off , make new ones and use Camaro rubber isolators GM p/n 22179268 .

Whichever way you mount engine . According to their install . The crossmember needs trimmed on the top middle for crank pulley , and on the drivers side for power steering pump and lower side of engine block .

Also of note , if you want to use an existing transmission , the flywheel for a manual is GM p/n 12561680 , pilot bushing GM p/n 12557583 . And for autos the flexplate for a 700r4 is GM p/n 12563136 . Now they say the newer trans converter flexplates have a 300mm flexplate bolt pattern where 700r4 converters have a 298mm bolt pattern , so some grinding of the bolt holes is needed on the flexplate .

For exhaust , they say camaro/firebird manifolds fit best GM p/n 12567706 RH and GM p/n 12559507 LH .

Of course you can figure out computers and fuel delivery I'm sure .

And if you use the trans, and engine together , you will be better off .

Enjoy /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

12. blazd88

blazd88 1/2 ton status

thanx alot i really apreciate it /forums/images/graemlins/bow.gif

13. uao85

uao85 1/2 ton status

yeah you probably have a 5.3 liter gen III engine. The new ls1 *style* engines are pretty common in chevy vehicles. I will list em for yah, 4.8 liter(truck), 5.3 liter(truck), 5.7(f-body and corvette engines), and the big daddy 6.0 which comes in the escalades denalis and 3/4 ton gm pickups. They are all basically the same with the 5.7 liter being the only one of the group with an alluminum engine block. The other difference is that the 5.7 liter has a bigger bore and a smaller stroke in retrospect to make more high end power plus a slightly more aggressive cam. The truck engines all have iron blocks and a slightly bigger stroke to make low end torque and a slightly less aggressive cam. I think I am the only person here so far who has done the swap(anyone else?????) I swapped a 6.0 liter vortec engine with the matching 4l80e into my 91 fullsize blazer, runs awesome and incredibly smooth for such a powerful engine. And since the engines are basically the same you can also interchange parts from camaros and corettes to make a little more power. In fact I have a z06 cam waiting to be installed after the engine is broken in. The only problem you will run into is the wiring which is a PITA and took me nearly 6 months to graft to the old harness. But I also started the project when I was 17, and had to learn alot of how the engine worked and how everything functioned. But I can honestly say that it was way worth it in the end. If anyone has any questions, just let me know. I will also be trying to post some pictures tomorrow.

Remington

14. Adub

Adub 1/2 ton status

Also, if your transmission came out of an 03 Z71, its not a 4180E, its a 4160E. The 4l80E only comes in the HD trucks.

15. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

The "LS1" moniker refers to an entire family of engines. The new 350 c.i. engines found in F-bodies is just one of engines in this family.

4Wheel and Off-road did a 6.0L LS1 swap into a mid-80's Blazer (actually it was dark blue). It was a 350 hp crate motor with a supercharger on it for a final reported output of around 450 hp I believe. It was on the Ultimate Adventure '03 video and it looked very impressive.

16. CyberSniper

Find me something even remotely official that says that an LS1 is a cast iron 4.8L, 5.3L, 6.0L, and aluminum 5.3L (SSR).

The first thing you'll notice is that LS1 is a RPO code.

Since a 6.0L has the EXACT same heads as a LS6 except for valve sizes and cast iron does that mean that a truck 6.0L is an LS6? No, silly.

The LS1 (5.7L all aluminum V8), the LS6 (5.7L all aluminum V8 out of Z06 corvettes with better block windage), the all aluminum 5.3L (out of the SSR), the cast iron 4.8L, the cast iron 5.3L, and the cast iron 6.0L are all Generation III small blocks.

The new LS2 (6.0L all aluminum V8 found in the GTO, Corvette, and SSR) is a Generation IV smallblock.

LR4-4.8L
    LM7-5.3L
    SSR-5.3L Aluminum
    LS1-5.7L Aluminum
    LS6-5.7L Aluminum
    LQ4-6.0L
    LQ9-6.0L
    LS2-6.0L Aluminum

17. uao85

uao85 1/2 ton status

yeah, thanks for that. I couldnt find the gm chart I had bookmarked. guess it was deleted or something. Yeah there are definitely alot of them, oh yeah and there is another 5.3 iron block-LO5. But yeah thats basically it.

Remington

18. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    The "LS1" moniker refers to an entire family of engines. The new 350 c.i. engines found in F-bodies is just one of engines in this family.

[/ QUOTE ]
    quite incorrect. Gen III refers to the family of engines. LS1 refers to the 347 CUI. motor. LQ4 refers to the 6.0L engine, LS6 refers to the 405 HP 347cui. motor. As for the LS6 heads on a 6.0 I'd say it could be the higher horsepower 345HP in the Escalades. The LS2 is as noted yet another game.