Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

LS1 t56?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Hazy, Mar 31, 2007.

1. Hazy

Hazy 1/2 ton status

so i have a chance to get an LS1 with a t56 from a friend out of a 99 vet. i was just wondering if it would be worth all the trouble in my 85 jimmy. and who i could get an adapter to run a 205 or 208 t case.

or if anyone wants to buy it im sure he wants to sell it soon cause he only needs a few parts for his kit car from factory five...

2. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

where are you located in california?

you'll have a hard time mating the t56 to a transfer case. unless its a divorced t-case.
    might work good in a crew cab, but its nice to have a granny low for big trucks which that tranny doesnt have.

email me with the condition and asking price on that combo.. my buddy is looking for one of those setups.
    rburke72@sbcglobal.net

3. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

won't work out too well for you seeing as the 99 Vette Transmission is a transaxle..... Engine is cool and all, but the transmission is mounted at the back of the car and of no use to you.

Also, we've discussed T-56s before, they are VERY long transmissions. In a K5 you'd have a trans longer than a 2wd 700R4 with a divorced tcase hanging off the back of that. You'd have damn near no rear driveshaft.

4. rooferbret

rooferbret 1/2 ton status

So he is building the gtm supercar.
    We Need pics!

5. Chevy305

Chevy305 6 Lug 14bsf Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Ever seen a Jeep's drive shaft? :eek1:

6. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

yea and those guys do everything they can to make it longer, because it is a real limiting point on them.

7. Hazy

Hazy 1/2 ton status

ill be sure to take some pics of the gtm cause ill be at him house alot helping him. he thinks he knows alot about mechanics. so it will be interesting. the chassis comes in a week a think so i post them up soon on a different thread. but if i buy his extra LS1 i think i use a sm465 with it not the t56. anyways it is late (not really) but i need to wake up in 6 hours. Late!

8. uao85

uao85 1/2 ton status

The autos are a rear mounted tranny in the vettes, but the t56 is a forward mounted transmission. Just think how long that shifting linkage would have to be...plus no t56 equiped car comes with shift linkage, the shifter always mounts straight up to the top of those tranny's, just like the nv4500.

Remington

9. DEMON44

DEMON44 Low-Tech Redneck

OK someone explain this T56 transaxle in a '99 Vette to me.......I know what a V8 is....and I know what a transaxle is ............and I don't see a front wheel drive Vette anywhwere. and I don't see a V8 mounted transverse in a Vette....

{Gary Coleman}What you talkin about Willis?

10. Currank5

Currank5 1/2 ton status

A transaxle in a rwd car has the transmission as part of the rear axle. The engine is connected to the rear axle/transmission by a drive tube/shaft, or a torque tube as its called in some other cars. A lot of older porsches like the 924/944 run transaxles. I have a 924 and having the engine up front and the tranny in the rear makes for an almost perfect 50/50 weight distribution between the front and rear of the vehicle. I havn't personally seen one in a vette but i have seen them in other vehicles and i'm sure its the same principle.

11. DEMON44

DEMON44 Low-Tech Redneck

Oh I follow now, of course. I just couldn't put it together as a mental image.

12. Chevy305

Chevy305 6 Lug 14bsf Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I have never once heard of a transaxel in a Vette...

13. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Doesn't take much googling to find the 6L80 transaxle references. Couldn't find a pic for you though.

14. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

The C6 (vette) has a transaxle but I do not know about any earlier years.

Ira

15. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

16. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

inncorrect. Starting with the C5, the T56 was mounted to the rear axle just like the automatic. And like noted, from the seats to the rear axle is not what I would call far...

[​IMG]

There is a Vette chassis. Notice the shifter dead middle of the torque tube.

17. uao85

uao85 1/2 ton status

cool, I stand corrected, I guess I was still thinking of the lt1 equiped vettes. Hmm if only I could get one of those complete chassis donated to me...I would put it to good use I swear...right under a second gen f-body...mmm sexy.

Remington