Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

LSD, locker with 10bolt

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by TXsizeK5, Nov 20, 2001.

1. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

Will lockers or LDS hold up??? What brand / kidna should i get... umm, anythign to make the 10bolt stronger... like stronger spider gears, side gears, bearings, etc etc? thanks

6in 87' K5 w/ 35" BFG muds.
    305/Sm465/ NP208
    Kn, 4.56's.
    next...highflow cat, single inlet dual outlet flowmaster with 4" tips =D

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Yeah, add 4 bolts to the diff cover : )

I didn't want to dilute this post with information, but I guess I should. There are too many people out there that have spent mucho dinero trying to build the 10 bolt up, only to have it break. If you are going to be using it hard enough that it might break, get a 14 bolt.

Everything from carriers in pieces to broken axle shafts, big, spinning tires, jumps, bumps, and lots of power all equal too much for the 10 bolt. That means if your truck is cheesy, with more money spent on chrome than the tires, and you are worried about the paint, a 10 bolt will be fine...lol

Either drive like a grandma for the most part, or upgrade to the 14 bolt and drive like you want to. For me, the 10 bolt works. I don' t go off-road much, and when I do, I take it easy on the poor truck.

Dorian
    My tech/links page: <a target="_blank" href=http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html>www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html</a>
    Why insist on counting when the ring gear has the tooth counts stamped in?

3. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

I dont do antyhting hard.. i just dont want my dif to bust taking off fast on the street or going in sand or some mud , im not gunna be jumping... although i may go over ruts and bumps fast on accident or soethig.

6in 87' K5 w/ 35" BFG muds.
    305/Sm465/ NP208
    Kn, 4.56's.
    next...highflow cat, single inlet dual outlet flowmaster with 4" tips =D

4. kpanza

kpanza 1/2 ton status

Most people will say no, but so far I have proved them wrong! I have been running an ARB in my front 10 bolt for over a year now, no problems at all (I run 35" BFG Muds). I think you will have better luck keeping a 10 bolt together if you use a selectable locker like the ARB or Ox Locker, since you will only use it when you really need it. By not having it engaged 90% of the time until you really need it, you spare your "weak" 10 bolt innards and u-joints from the constant stress of a full time locker. Your driving style will also dictate how long it will last you - myself, I don't like spending any more money than I have to, so I have learned a more conservative driving style, which will save you breaking parts no matter what axle you have!

You could swap in some 30 spline chromoly axleshafts to make it stronger, but you will still be limited in total strength by the u-joints (although it's much better to have a u-joint break than an axleshaft). Anyways, just giving you my experience with this setup. And my truck definitely doesn't shy away from any of the hard stuff, so it has seen plenty of abuse and still has no problems.

Oh, and I just realized something, don't know if you were talking about the front or rear 10 bolt! Oops! I had an Auburn LSD in my rear 10 bolt for 5 years with no problems, except for the fact that the Auburn LSD sucked in the terrain I see!! It was a waste of money in my opinion. I now have a 14 bolt rear with Detroit.

5. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

If you spin big tires and such, you'll probably break it. I push the truck kinda hard on the street sometimes, but I'm not worried about breaking it in that situation. If I was doing burnouts, I would. I hit lots of potholes when I do off-road, but at about 35MPH, so I'm not worried about breaking axle shafts from that.

The car guys run those diff covers that "preload" the carrier bearings, and I know a guy running 12's in a car with a 7.5"..that probably indicates that for hard street usage, the preloading diff cover might be the ticket. but again, i'm just not pushing enough power to break it, IMO.

Dorian
    My tech/links page: <a target="_blank" href=http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html>www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html</a>
    Why insist on counting when the ring gear has the tooth counts stamped in?