Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

LT! conversion

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by jrecon, Jan 9, 2004.

1. jrecon

jrecon Newbie

Just puchased an LT1 engine and needed to know if anyone has done this swap and what all is invloved with it. It will be going in my 81 BURB /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

2. jac6695

jac6695 1/2 ton status

I am about to do this swap as well. My brother put one in his S-10 last year. I would advise you to start reading the camaro message boards ( such as this one ) to learn about the LT1 if you haven't already. A couple of things that stick out from my brothers conversion are:

1. A/C compressor hits frame on pass side (use A/C delete pulley and notch frame or get pulley setup from Vette.
    2. Wiring for PCM can be tricky. My brother used a painless harness modified by some company in TX. I will be using factory setup from 94 Camaro.
    3. Cooling- LT1 reverse flow connects to radiator differently than old SBC. Try to use hose arangement from Camaro or Vette.
    4. Opti-Spark (distributor) weak link in LT1. Try not to get it wet and convert to vented Opti if you have 92-94 engine.

Good luck and keep in touch about how it is coming along! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

dynaspark.. /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. jrecon

jrecon Newbie

Well to start this motor is out of a 95 Vette it has all the wireing,ecm and pcm. Just trying to figure out how to get around the VATS. The A/c compressor is on the drivers side and on top so that shouldn't be a problem,besides I'm thinking about removeing it. Thanks Any other sugestions are welcomed /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

5. Rebel88

Rebel88 1/2 ton status

what problem are you having with the VATS??

Later

6. jrecon

jrecon Newbie

Nothing yet. Still waiting on engine to get here.so I can install it. Just needing some heads up before I tackle this one /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. jac6695

jac6695 1/2 ton status

Thats awesome you have a Vette engine. Check out some of the Camaro messeage boards. Search around for some info on PCM programming. I found a few guys that do programming pretty cheap. You can have the VATS as well as the emmisions equipment ommitted from the PCM. I also recently found a guy that had some wiring schematics posted on his website for a 95 Camaro. Could help with your conversion. I would post some links, but just installed a new harddrive and lost all my favorites. If I come across anything, I will let you know.

8. jac6695

jac6695 1/2 ton status

I have read good and bad reviews about Dynaspark. Some of the Camaro guys seem to think it is overpriced. I don't know....

9. jac6695

jac6695 1/2 ton status

Check out MadZ28.com. He semms to be highly recommended over at CamaroZ28.com.

10. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

dynaspark seems to be the less expensive replacement for optispark, when compared to the LS1 COP setup... at least thats what the LT1 junkies at work preach LOL..