Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Lt1 bottom end with 1990 stock heads?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Shagnaz, Oct 31, 2002.

1. Shagnaz

Shagnaz 1/2 ton status

Just wondering if a Impala SS LT1 bottom end will mate
    up with the stock heads off my 1990 K5 350? I want
    to keep my TBI set up to keep things simple.
    I already have a complete long block out of a '94 SS. Needing to rebuild my engine that has 263,000 + miles on
    it. Just alittle tired.

Thanks to all
    Mike B /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

2. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Afraid not. The LT1 uses a reverse flow cooling system that required a redesign of the block and heads. Very few parts are interchangeable between the LT1 and the first gen small blocks. You might want to see if you can get an intake that will mate your TBI to the LT1 heads. But it sure seems a shame to remove the multi-port EFI and mini-tunnel ram and replace it with a TBI. The front mounted opti-spark also had problems dealing wtih moisture, so you'll have to come up with a way to solve that. There may be some aftermarket solutions, but I haven't played with any LT1's, so I'm not sure.

3. 88streetblaze

88streetblaze 1/2 ton status

you might look into the intake manifold gm offers that they put on the carb. lt-4 crate motors, it would still be cheaper than rebuilding your old motor if you could make that intake work with the tbi.

but you might want to look into the how well you computer can handle the factory cam in the lt-1 comared to the stocker...