Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

LT1 Cat vs High Flow

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Hardcore, Jun 12, 2003.

1. Hardcore

Hardcore 1/2 ton status

A guy over on another board said that the cat off of an LT1 (I guess Corvette) is a high flow cat and its better flowing then aftermarket High Flow cat. He said they are sheap too.

Anyone ever hear anything about this, anyone using one??? /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

2. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

I saw in a old issue of Hot Rod a test of aftermarket cats. The one that flowed the best was a stock cat from a Tahoe /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

I don't know about them being cheep...what dealers charge should be illegal!

3. sdavid

sdavid 1/2 ton status

I had an exhaust guru at a shop tell me that there is no such thing as a "high-flow" cat convertor. He says the way to get better flow is to over catilize your vehicle; ie: put a larger convertor on. He also told me that the ones that starting being installed on K5s around 88-89 (not the flat bead style) are what he uses in high performance applications. So if you have that style, maybe the same as the Tahoe one mentioned above, you have the best already if it is not damaged. I had the flat, bead style with 110K miles on it and replaced it with a Catco catilyst style and notice a BIG difference.

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

One of the Corvette mags did a cat converter swap on a newer Vette not to long ago (can't recall for sure, but LS or LT1 I think) and claimed great results from the aftermarket cat. Dyno tested.

Of course, IMO, the test was flawed, it was an old used converter vs a new unused, so who really knows. A good aftermarket high flo converter is probably plenty good.

5. Bhintz

Bhintz 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    A guy over on another board said that the cat off of an LT1 (I guess Corvette) is a high flow cat and its better flowing then aftermarket High Flow cat. He said they are sheap too.

Anyone ever hear anything about this, anyone using one??? /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
    Pavement sucks cool website but doesnt have the knowlegde of ck5, but a LT-1 cat has one of the highest flow ratings out of most aftermarket cats