Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

LT1 in a Blazer???

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by k5-newbie, Apr 9, 2006.

1. k5-newbie

k5-newbie 1/2 ton status

ran across an LT1 with a LT4 intake and cam.... was wondering if it would be a good idea to put it in a Blazer that sees mostly rock crawling and trail rides...but of course some of the trails have water crossings. I know the opti spark is in a less than desirable spot for water. Also, can i use my turbo 400 with the LT1?

thanks

2. 1979jimmy350

1979jimmy350 1/2 ton status

you could use your 400 with it, the belhousing pattern is the same as all v8 chevys

3. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

optispark is undesirable on the street let alone trails. Its not just water crossings, dirt, mud, dust, all that crap can effect the optical pickup. If you can get the engine for a really good deal, I'd say give it a try, when you have trouble, convert to a different style of distributor. They make better setups they just aren't cheap.

Also does it have LT4 heads? LT4 intake does about nothing for performance without LT4 heads as well. LT4s have taller intake runners. If it is just an LT4 intake on LT1 heads it could actually be hurting performance. Not sure if it is even possible to raise the ports of the LT1 to match the LT4 intake. Stock or Hot LT4 camshaft? Big difference.

4. k5-newbie

k5-newbie 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the help guys...I will find out more about the motor tonight...and yes, it is a GOOD deal, motor, computer, wiring harness, everything but starter, for next to nothing:eek1: . It is a buddy of mine who was gonna put it in his 87 Firebird, but instead just purchased a '02 Vette.

5. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

quite a difference, but a good one, from 3rd gen Firebird with 2nd Gen Small Block power, to 5th gen Vette with 3rd gen Small Block :wink1: