Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

LT1 swap into '90 K5

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Shagnaz, Sep 19, 2002.

1. Shagnaz

Shagnaz 1/2 ton status

LT1 swap into \'90 K5

I have a 94 Impala SS Lt1 that I am wanting to install into my 1990 K5. Has
    anyone done this or have any suggestions?
    Thanks

2. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

Re: LT1 swap into \'90 K5

I thought that there was someone not too long ago that had one in their K5 and also I saw in the Auto Trader a local guy here had one.

I dont think you would be able to use your computer or wiring though.... To keep costs down, you can use a TPI harness and only 3 sensors are different.(not exactly sure which 3, TPS, IAC and?) Over at the 3rd gen camaro/ta site they are swapping LT1 intakes onto TPI engines and using their stock harnesses. Take a gander over there, someone may be able to help. www.thirdgen.com

Also, for your harness needs go here: www.chevythunder.com E-mail Leonard and see what he has to say. Last time I talked to him, he was getting into TBI harnesses.....

HTH!! /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

3. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

PM Emmetology101.............he did a bit of research about this exact swap. One problem is the Opti-Spark is located down on the crank snout.............water/mud and Opti Spark do not make a good combo. /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

4. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Computer is going to be mad when it doesn't see the tranny. Going to have to burn a chip to deal with that.
    Check with this guy. He burns chips and looks real reasonable. Lots of tech information availaable. He's a Pay site for some of the information. He was getting killed on Bandwidth so my guess is had to do something to cover it. Seems to know his stuff. Sells a complete closed loop TBI set up for around $850. He uses used parts but checks them out and burns a chip to customer spec. He will even sell parts just pulled off for a little cheaper.
    Tell him the Moderator for CK5 pointed you at him if you decide to deal with him. Let me know how it goes also. Thinking about one of his systems.
    http://www.customefis.com/

5. Shagnaz

Shagnaz 1/2 ton status

I was going with a Painless Wiring set up. For $350 I get a wiring set up for the fuel injection/ignition and then use a 92-93 Corvette/Impala ECU. All of the other sensors should be the same EXP: water/oil temp, knock sensor, etc.
    I just don't want any surprises when I pull my TBI engine.
    I know the fuel lines are going to have to be changed and radiator different b/c Lt1 is reverse flow.
    Just wasn't sure if there was anyone one with CK5 did the swap and could offer helpful tips.
    Thanks to all that has replied and future replies!

Also, CK5 is #1 on the Top 4x4 site.com site! This club is
    great!
    Mike Babich

6. jmd

jmd Registered Member

The 94 Impala harness is probably the easiest of all LT1's to use. I also like where it puts the PCM up front, DS. Keep it.

Going with Painless junk and a 92/93 ECM gives you a batch fire (not sequential) LT1.

What I have seen - 95 LT1 / 4L60-E complete from f-body put in a g-body- worked perfectly w/ factory harness.

- 95 Caprice LT1 / 4L60-E w/ factory harness. Works great; this is arguably a better swap for a g-body.

There is no reason, neither $ nor power to go w/ a Painless harness. It is also less easily troubleshootable w/ a factory service manual, AND their wiring lumps more items on one fuse than a factory setup - much harder to troubleshoot a short in the wiring. Painless = dumb.

Also, the radiator does not need to be different. It needs one extra port on the PS tank, but it still flows DS to PS.

Matthew

7. 88streetblaze

88streetblaze 1/2 ton status

I put an lt-1 out of a vette in my blazer.

here is a list of the things i ran into when i installed mine.

1. the lt-1 is a little bit wider than a regular 350, so it made it a pain in the ass to find headers that work, but street & performance now have a set that will fit, and check my previous posts, i think these headers are better than almost all of the other 9 sets i went through.

2. keep the wiring out of the impala and just invest in a good wiring diagram, unless you can make more money in the time it would take you to install it, then i would go with an aftermarket.

3. they are right about the tranny, but if you have an 700r4 you might be lucky but i'm not completly sure when they went to 4l60es in impalas, but the first year or two b-bodies did have 700's; however i have read that the 700's the b-bodies used had 2 servos instead of 2, and that caused all sorts of confusion for a factory computer

3. impala accesory brackets will NOT work in your truck unless you fill like notching your frame, otherwise you're going to have to get an aftermarket setup, or s&p sells the brackets off of vettes that will work without hitting the frame(huge selling point for me to spend that little bit extra for a vette since in the long run it was actually cheaper.)

4. then just remeber, the fuel pump, electric fans, and power steering lines and i think you'll have it covered.

yes it took some work but is was worth it, check out my pictures, at http://community.webshots.com/user/jasonloy " target="_blank">PICS!</a>

although i've gotten some really snotty remarks when i go to the parts store w/o my hood on, some people suck.

feel free to ask any other questions.....

8. Shagnaz

Shagnaz 1/2 ton status

Does Street &amp; Amp Performance have a web site?

Help...Does anyone want to earn some extra cash and take
    on this project for me...hahahaha

9. jmd

jmd Registered Member

Here's to wishing you were closer to NM, I'd do it.

St. &amp; Performance's website should be tunedport.com but they do things just like Painless /forums/images/icons/frown.gif

10. Shagnaz

Shagnaz 1/2 ton status

Do you have more pics of the swap?

Is the swap worth the power gain?

11. jmd

jmd Registered Member

88streetblaze:

1: The LT1 is the same width as any Gen I SBC, not wider. The exhaust ports are D shaped, so if you want headers to flow good, you have to find ones that are meant for alum. L98 or other D-port exhaust ports. Standard headers will bolt right up to it, but block the upper part of the port.

3 (#2??) - I can't see where the Imp. brackets won't work in a 73-87 CK. The Imp brackets place the A/C compressor down low by the frame rail on a G-body, but it just barely fits in all the examples I've seen, same for the f-body brackets. No need to notch. Now, every early '80's CK I've worked on had more engine bay than my cars, so where does it hit exactly? S&amp;P does lie to people and tell them brackets don't work when they do... sad but true.

Matthew /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

12. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Street &amp; Performance has a website that has nothing to do with the actual name of the company. I guess they're trying to hide. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif You can find them at http://www.hotrodlane.cc

13. 88streetblaze

88streetblaze 1/2 ton status

yes i know that the lt-1's are d-port, i tried all of the d-port headers i could find, even the new headman d-port set for full size 73-87 trucks, but they didn't fit, the s&amp;p set i finnally got isn't d-port, but they are large enough that they don't cut off any flow. and as for the wider thing, i have read that several different places, and if it isn't true, then there are a bunch of big companies like headman, hooker, etc that sell headers that there is no way in HELL that will fit without hitting the bumpstop on the pass. side and the spring shackel on the drivers side.

As for the brackets off of the f-body's and others not fitting. i have not taken exact measurements to see, but my rough check agreaed with s&amp;p, the compressor will hit the frame, i also found a site (can't remember the url.) where i just typed in blazer lt-1 into yahoo and found where another guy transplanted a f-body lt-1 in and he had to notch the frame to make it work. i think it has to do with the fact that the f-bodies and imps. use different holes to mount the motor mounts to.

now as for the S&amp;P guys, i have had really good dealings with them and plan on using them again when i get to my chevelle, imho. street &amp; performance is on the level with everything. so until i hear from the gm engineer otherwise, you can't convince me otherwise.

14. milspecjimmy

milspecjimmy 1/2 ton status

my two cents

i build LT-1 and LT-4 motors for a living/hobby. i have owned sevral and am currently putting together one ina 92 corvette for a customer. my personal feelings to save some hassle and money in the long run are:
    1) use an ecu out of a 94 or up impalla, corvette, or f body. these use a DREADED MAF sensor, wich in all reality is better, it gives the computer a true reading if what is going on and can be used more efficently than a speed density setup.
    2)get the later ECU for a car that had a standard computer, then it wont be looking for a 4l60e.
    3)use the painless wiring stand alone for the 700.
    4)id use hooker pro comp headders for a 92 and up corvette. they are almost like a block hugger, and your local muffler shop can bend up a set of duals to bolt right to em.
    5) i have a set of lingenfelter LT-4 heads that have about 100 miles on them( customer wanted a super charger) these heads are 54.4 cc and make about 11.1:1 on a set of stock LT-1 pistons. these are fully ported and polished. i also have a lingenfelter LT-4 hot cam for it, and a BBK dual 52mm t/b. if your worried about power, pick up an intake and get this stuff and youll have no issue with that /forums/images/icons/wink.gif