Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

LT1 Swap to '89 Burb

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by ut77gmc, Jan 25, 2001.

1. ut77gmc

ut77gmc Registered Member

LT1 Swap to \'89 Burb

Anyone done anything like this? Have access (for a fee of course) to a LT1 with harness and computer. I believe the bellhousing and mounts would work out just fine, but the wiring etc. (fuel delivery, sensor placement, etc.) is a little intimidating. Is it just one of those things you would do one thing at a time or do you need to look at it as a whole package?

'77 GMC K15 LWB.....likes to get muddy

2. realsquash

realsquash 1/2 ton status

Re: LT1 Swap to \'89 Burb

That swap would be a cake-job! Get an aftermarket harness, don't use the GM one unless you have a lot of time to sort it all out and make it fit right. Also, I don't know about the accessory brackets, that's your call. Electronics wise, well that is cake.

Squash
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.trailrunners4x4.org/users/realsquash>http://www.trailrunners4x4.org/users/realsquash</A>

3. realsquash

realsquash 1/2 ton status

That swap would be a cake-job! Get an aftermarket harness, don't use the GM one unless you have a lot of time to sort it all out and make it fit right. Also, I don't know about the accessory brackets, that's your call. Electronics wise, well that is cake. What year is the motor?

Squash
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.trailrunners4x4.org/users/realsquash>http://www.trailrunners4x4.org/users/realsquash</A>

4. Cavalry

Cavalry 1/2 ton status

upstate NY(although I cant figure out why)

Ok here is a real first day question. Whats the differences between a LT1/4 and a regular small block. I know the heads and intakes are different, but what about the short block?

Luke
    84 K5
    [​IMG]

5. ut77gmc

ut77gmc Registered Member

Lots of difference. I believe it's easier to say what's the same (if memory serves me).

Bore spacing and size
    exterior block dimensions and basic design theory
    Crank and rods (? not real sure on that one ?)

Known differences are
    1)Optispark(?) distributor located where your 'normal SBC' 's water pump is
    2)reverse flow cooling that enables higher compression (about half a point)
    3)intake/injection system
    4)oiling system (I think it's some kind of oil cooler/dry sump system--memory is kind of fuzzy on that one)

To sum it all up, it's basicly a redesigned (pretty much a clean sheet overhaul if you will) small block with very little interchangeable to the older design '55-'99(TBI/Vortec units)(if anything--maybe the crank and rods)

'77 GMC K15 LWB.....likes to get muddy

6. Tommy

Tommy 1/2 ton status

All of the internals are the same; rods, pistons, crank, oil pump, just basics. I put one of these in my 69 Z, very sensitive to change. I would not want it in my truck, too many water sensitive parts. The distributor especially, $350 plus a bitch to change. They run like a bear when right. Just my 2 cents.

Drive it Like You Hate It!

7. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

sounds awsome..... I would love to fall into a deal like that.....or even a nice TBI engine.... Good luck and keep us updated on the outcome.....

C'moe

<font color=black>the blazer is "Back in Black"