Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

LT1 / T56 swap in k5??

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by camarossguy2, Sep 15, 2004.

1. camarossguy2

camarossguy2 1/2 ton status

My K5 i have had for a month now, The motor detonates ands sloooww, and then today the trany sounded like it imploded inside on the way home from work.

I have ALOT of experience with the LT1 and t-56 transmissions from camaros/firebirds.
    This is one of the couple things i was debating doing, just currious how realistic this is??

Any one ever do this?

How would you attack the T-56 to the transfer case? T-56 is the 6sp manual trans by the way

Im also considering a 6.5l turbo diesel or a cummins turbo diesel if anyone knows anyone who has done this and has a how to, sugjestions or tips...i'd be greatful /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

2. camarossguy2

Another quick question...
    If i were to buy a new tranny, what kinda should i get?
    700r?
    turbo 400 etc...???

Im sorry for all these questions, kinda feel stupid when it comes to anything that sits more then 3'' off the ground...

If i were to buy a 700r from a regular car sucks as a camaro etc...How could hook it up to the transfer case?? just swap ou the tail housing? or is there a deference in the output shafts??

3. jac6695

jac6695 1/2 ton status

I am doing the LT1 swap, and would recommend it as long as you can address the Optispark problem (water will kill it, but there are some excellent alternatives).

I wouldn't do the T56, though. Sell it and get yourself a NV4500 which is geared better for a truck. BTW, let me know if you have a T56 to sell. I want to convert my 94 Z28 to one.

4. jac6695

jac6695 1/2 ton status

Find yourself a 4L60E out of a 94-97 4WD truck. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. camarossguy2

thanks for the reply.... All my friends who had auto f-bods converted to the m6. I will let you know, ushually i have extra stuff laying around everywhere, but not now, i will let you know tho

6. uao85

uao85 1/2 ton status

Yeah, you will definitely have to get a transmission that doesnt have a tailshaft because you cant remove them. I would go with a 4l60e from a 95-99 like previously stated or a nv4500, or a nv5600. Both are awesome trannies, the nv5600 is a 6 spd also. personally I would get the 4l60e to keep the simplicity of an auto and it also has overdrive for better gas mileage.

Remington

7. camarossguy2

Well to put an 4L60E in i need a computer right? if i put the LT1 in there that would be fine...but anything else wouldn't work with that tranny unless that model came with the 4l60e right?

Is there anydifference between S-10, 1500, 2500, camaro vette 4l60es??

and is there anyway to take a 2wd tranny and swap out the tail shaft for a 4wd one? possible?

8. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

As well, IIRC, the 4wd 700's that are computer controlled don't use lockup while in 4wd. Not sure that would be a huge issue though, if its even true.

9. COCHEV

COCHEV 1/2 ton status

LT1s are awesome! i don't know how the t56 would hold up to big tires and such. you'd have to run a devorced case with a little driveline between the trannie and the case and make a custome cross member. the other thing to think about is the 2 overdives on the t56. they are way tall geared and i don't know that you would ever use 6th gear unless you geared your rig like a tractor. the 460le option, like everyone else posted, is probably your best bet /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

as for optispark options, the latest issue of Chevy High Performance has an article on a deal thet replaces the optispark with a coil pack type set up similar to the LS1s. its almost 700 bucks though.

if you go for it, take pics and share. i think it would be awesome /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. afroman006

afroman006 1/2 ton status

Why is everyone recomending the 4L60E? If you were going to go to the trouble of swapping in a puter controlled tranny why not go 4L80E. Much stronger, maybe not as good gearing I dont know but the strength difference is tremendous.

11. jac6695

jac6695 1/2 ton status

A LT1 will plug in to a 4L60E and the PCM will run it with no problems (as long as the correct version is used). A 4L80E is bulletproof, but would need its on computer and a lot of hassle for installation into a Blazer. The 4L60E can be built quite stout these days, and would work well with his existing transfer case. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

12. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

4L80E or NV4500

13. uao85

uao85 1/2 ton status

The reason I would choose a 4l60e is because it bolts right up to an lt1 since most came with a 4l60e from the factory. And also since you are doing an lt1 swap, the computer is already programmed for the 4l60e. It would be very time consuming and difficult to reprogram for a 4l80e, not to mention having to mix and match parts to get it to bolt up. Plus you can spin the 4l60e at higher rpms than you can a 4l80e. I think the limit on a 4l80e is somewhere around 5000 rpm from the factory, so it would be give or take a little, but I wouldnt risk it. With the 4l60e, you can find t-case adapters for nearly every transfer case combo you can think of(chevy t-case). With that I say good luck, and if you do a search on yahoh there is another guy who did this swap into a 74 blazer.

Remington

14. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

a LT1 and T56 would be cool... the LT1 is a really good idea but the T56 will never last, I think even a SPEC 3 clutch wouldent last a week and you would probably rip the gears out of the trans too. If you want a manual go NV4500 or go 4L60E or a 700R4

15. trikstark5

trikstark5 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I am doing the LT1 swap, and would recommend it as long as you can address the Optispark problem (water will kill it, but there are some excellent alternatives).[ QUOTE ]

There is a company that makes a conversion kit for the optispark. There is an article in this month's Super Chevy magazine about the conversion kit. Sounds pretty easy to do.

16. camarossguy2

[ QUOTE ]
    a LT1 and T56 would be cool... the LT1 is a really good idea but the T56 will never last, I think even a SPEC 3 clutch wouldent last a week and you would probably rip the gears out of the trans too. If you want a manual go NV4500 or go 4L60E or a 700R4

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the t56 would be fine...If you go to my website you will see my camaro...made over 535 rwhp on 7psi and now im running 14#...all through a stock T56...Now your right about the clutch...your would have to get a spec 3, or a twin setup.