Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

LT1 TBI as a replacement?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by TwoCrowsDesign, Jul 25, 2001.

1. TwoCrowsDesign

TwoCrowsDesign 1/2 ton status

I understand these will bolt on to our intake and that the bore is significantly larger. Just wondering what else would have to be done to accomodate? I suppose it would need to breath better as well, any other mods required? Or does it just not make sense for some reason?

Any experience on this out there? I only ask because I may need to get injectors and I know there a lot of old police model caprices out there.

John

2. Neil

Neil 1/2 ton status

I have extensive experience with LT1s. The throttle body will not bolt onto the TBI on a truck 350. The LT1 throttle body is more like the TPI units. Are you talking about the whole intake manifold or sumthin? That will be a major deal to do. There is no place for a distributor in the LT1 intake ya know to come out the top without a modification.. The distributor on an LT1 is on the front of the engine.The computer is different for the LT1 too. Lots of differences in TBI and LT1!

Neil H.. Alabama.. '78 K5 400ci 4x4 AT,AC,PW Cheyenne. '74 C10 3spd/floor 250ci 4x2

3. TwoCrowsDesign

TwoCrowsDesign 1/2 ton status

Neil,

Oh well, that was a thought...

Thanks for keeping me from being stupid.

John

4. Neil

Neil 1/2 ton status

You can take an LT1 and put it in older vehicles. Most people take the computer with it or GM does make an intake mnfld to carburate LT1s. I have a friend with a 1970 Cheyenne and a 93 LT1 in it. Fun truck to ride. LT1s have a distinct sound and his sounds cool too. Later, Neil

Neil H.. Alabama.. '78 K5 400ci 4x4 AT,AC,PW Cheyenne. '74 C10 3spd/floor 250ci 4x2

5. Neil

Neil 1/2 ton status

It's OK. That's why we ask questions.