Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

LT4 cam in Vortec motor?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BigJohnson, Nov 29, 2001.

1. BigJohnson

BigJohnson 1/2 ton status

I have a stock 350 Vortec. I'm running a Edelbrock Performer RPM intake and Carter 625cfm carb. I want to upgrade the cam for some more power. I've been looking at the GM Performance Parts LT4 cam and 1.6 ratio roller rockers. This is what Scoggin Dickey uses in there <a target="_blank" href=http://www.sdpc2000.com/cart.asp?action=prod_detail&amp;catid=1577&amp;pid=14342>TBI performance motor</a> for 330hp and 410ft.lbs. of torque. I actually doubt these numbers and e-mailed them to verify, will see what they say.
    Do you think this would be a good combo? Also, what is the max cam lift stock Vortec heads will take?
    Is anybody running a similar Vortec setup and are you pleased with the performance?

Thanks,
    Jordan

2. DPI

DPI 1/2 ton status

Those are impressive numbers. Especially with the stock tbi chip and computer setup. The max lift is .5 for vortecs mainly due to the short valve covers.

4.56 Geared, Power Locked, Dana 60
    4.56 Geared, TSM Disc Braked, Detroit Locked, Corporate 14

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Those lift numbers are about what the stock lo-po Vortec springs can handle, real-world. GM says .450 max lift though on stock Vortec springs.

Those numbers don't seem too far off when I compare them to my vortec headed motor in DD2k. That motor kills me in HP (271@4000 mine) but torque, I've got that motor beat at 2000RPM, and thats as the torque is coming down.

I think you can do as good or better if you pick your own cam, based on YOUR engine. Typically though, the lower lift dual pattern cams will make more low end power. Just depends on where you want it. High or low end power? Your intake is leaning more towards high end already...

Dorian
    My tech/links page: <a target="_blank" href=http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html>www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html</a>
    Why insist on counting when the ring gear has the tooth counts stamped in?