Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

lubing speedo cable?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by xpndbl3, Oct 12, 2006.

1. xpndbl3

xpndbl3 1/2 ton status

my speedo cable makes a loud screeching noise that "bounces" up and down as I drive for the first 15 minutes or so now in colder weather. I'm assuming I have to lube the speedo cable from what I read online. Doest this mean pulling out the dash pad and guage cluster? Also what lube can I use to quiet it down and make it much less bouncy?

2. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Yeah you have to pull the cable off the speedo. Usually requires pulling the guage cluster. To lube it use graphite or vasolene. Some other types of greases/oils can damage the spedo head, cable, or the plastic drive gear. They sell spedo cable lube at many auto parts stores. But its just a little tube of graphite

3. xpndbl3

xpndbl3 1/2 ton status

would white lithium grease work the same?

4. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

The problem with greases is that they collect dust and roll it into a ball. Kinda bad. Also, with the way the speedo cable is wound, anything thick that you put on it will get pumped into the speedo head. If you remove the inner part of the cable and clean it and clean the inside of the tube, it will help alot. You can soak the inner cable in penetrant for a longer lastin effect, and the penetrant is a thin oil. You can also use graphite, just not both at the same time.

FWIW........ I have used axle grease before with no ill effects.(:doah: just dont tell anyone:doah: )