Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Lubricationg A Stock AC Compressor Without Freon For Onboard Air ?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Resurrection_Joe, Jan 18, 2002.

1. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

Anyone know a good way to lubricate, or how much is need how often, a stock AC Compressor in a truck for onbaord air. Can I dump oil in the intake every once in a while or could I use on of those inline oilers for air tools?

Thanks - RJ

1978 K20 - 355ci, np205, th400, D44, 14F, 7" of Lift, 36 x 14.5 TSL Radial

2. gokartergo

gokartergo 3/4 ton status Staff Member Moderator

I'd start going to junk yards and trying to find a york compresser. They are self lubing.. They were mostly put in aftermarket.. I believe.. I found one on my dads motor home.. He doesn't use the air in it.. So I get it once we do the rebuild on the motor...Dan

If it ain't broke.......Don't fix it....
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Gokartergo>KLICK</a>

3. DieselDan

DieselDan 1/2 ton status

I haven't got my radial compressor on yet, but I will use some type of inline oiler. I would just give it a shot and see how long it lasts (they're cheap), most of what I hear is good. Ya, Ya, York, but there are not factory mounts for a York on a 6.2 (that I know of). I happend on an old AC (R8 ?) from a '82 diesel, so I couldn't past it up. I've heard the rotary compressor has more displacement than a York, this R8 is huge!

Real trucks don't have spark plugs!

4. Thumper

Thumper 1/2 ton status

Well, from what Ive read, it doesnt take much oil at all. Sumthin like 2 or 3 drops every 5-10 hrs of operation. Which could take a while I guess. I have a stock Ford unit that I am going to put in mine soon. The York ones are great... if you can find them. Up here they are scarce. Do a search for compressors in here and at ORC. There are tons of articles and how tos out there.

Mike

<font color=blue>Thumper
    85 Fullsize Jimmy
    [​IMG]
    <font color=red>Aint Skeered!! </font color=red>

5. BigBadCad

BigBadCad 1/2 ton status

Find a York and make your own brackets. You can find a suitable york in a late 80's Volvo for under $40. It really isn't that hard or expensive to make the brackets you'll need, you just have to get a little creative. I got all of the metal I needed from a local welding shop. He let me use the scrap out of his recycle bin for free. I did most of the work in my garage with a chopsaw, torch and welder. The only thing I needed machined was the milled slots in the mounting plate for adjusting belt tension and I had my neighbor do that for me for free.

6. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

I think I'll try one of the larger inline oilers on the intake hose. Hey if it blows up. I'll go grab a york, no digging around and paying more cash if I can get the one I have to work fairly well eh ?

1978 K20 - 355ci, np205, th400, D44, 14F, 7" of Lift, 36 x 14.5 TSL Radial